6018 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DEC Alphaserver Disks

jamesD
Occasional Advisor

DEC Alphaserver Disks

Hi,

In my search for replacement disks, I noticed that the RZ2DD-LS 9 GB disk is just a Seagate ST39102LC. I have a few of these Seagate disks which are Sun branded. My question is this: Is there some difference between the Sun and DEC branded ST39102LC that would make the Sun disk an inappropriate replacement for the DEC disk?

The follow-up question is: Has DEC actually done anything to the ST39102LC to make it a RZ2DD-LS, or have they just given it a DEC part number for purposes of tracking FRUs?

Thanks,

James
3 REPLIES 3
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello James,

IMHO at least the firmware will be different. Server vendors use to flash their own firmware into server disks, which are otherwise common part-numbered. It may be possible to reflash the disk with some diagnostic utility, however, I am not sure which one is available for Tru64 UNIX or OpenVMS. HPUX, for example, uses stm(1m).

J.
jamesD
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Jozef.

Is it possible to get new disks for these DEC machines, or am I stuck trying my luck with used part dealers?

James
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

You are probably stuck with the second user market. Seagate etc. stopped making 9GB drives a long time ago.

With regards to you original question you shouldn't have any problems running the Seagate branded drive. I've got lots of Alphas running with a variety of different badged drives, with no problems.

Cheers,

Rob