Announcements
1748282 Members
4016 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards migrating to HP Support Forums

Chris H
Honored Contributor

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards migrating to HP Support Forums

>> ...  the ability to attach documents and files to posts which is not available on the consumer site ...

Until you reach a certain rank (not sure which one).

As well as being a "founder" member (ex-ITRC) on the Enterprise forums for many years, I've been a member of the consumer forums for several years (and have reached a rank which allows me to post attachments).

But I've, at times, found it frustrating that most question authors cannot post evidence files on those forums, when the content of such would often prove very useful to analysis, and potential resolution of the problem.

They can post images, but these appear to be subject to approval (not sure if by human or machine intelligence), and this takes a finite time - sometimes 48 hours or more, it seems - which again hinders making progress on a possible solution.

Chris H
Honored Contributor

@Dennis Handly

Huh?  They don't seem to be redirected, ones in the posts:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/Extra-Page-print/m-p/5051262#M142807

This appears to be because they have migrated the topic, but to a different board, and with a different topic number:

Your original link was http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/Laserjet-4100TN-printing-an-extra-page-with-some-printed-details/m-p/5779739

This now appears to be at

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Laserjet-4100TN-printing-an-extra-page-with-some-printed/m-p/1794023

edit: I posted the above without checking it properly - the link I provided is not to the topic containing Dennis's solution, just to an original post on the Consumer forums which advised posting the question on the Enterprise forums!

Chris H
Honored Contributor

Returning to the issue of where to post & find LaserJet questions: the "Printers & All-In-Ones" section in the Consumer forums contains the following boards, with the following descriptions:

• Printer, All-in-One Install & Setup - "Forum to discuss all out of the box set-up and installation experience topics like installation issues and how to set-up and use your product. Issues include, but not limited to, fatal errors, USB connection, FPLA"
  • Scanning, Faxing, and Copying - "Topics related to USB and Network scan troubleshooting, faxing and copying. Issues include error communicating with scanning device, digital scanning, can’t scan from front panel, scan quality, can’t find my scan, and general how do I questions."
  • Ink, Toner, Cartridge, & Printhead Issues - "Topics related to printer ink, toner, and printheads. Issues include, printer not printing a particular color, cartridge not recognized, and ink/toner compatibility."
  • Printer, All-in-One Software & Drivers - "Forum to discuss all topics related to using HP products with third-party software applications. Also topics related to driver download and install."
  • Printing Issues & Troubleshooting - "How to perform common printer functions and troubleshoot printing issues. Examples: paper jams & feed issues, error messages, improving print quality, double-sided printing, etc."
  • DesignJet, Large Format Printers & Digital Printing Press - "This forum is for discussions on DesignJet printers, Large Format Printers and Digital Printing Press products. Including installation, usage, maintenance, upgrades, etc."
  • ePrint, Print Apps, Mobile Printing, and ePrintCenter - "Topics related to Cloud Services. Issues related to the following Cloud Services: ePrint, AirPrint (iOS), print apps, eFax, Google Cloud Print, HP mobile apps, ePrintCenter."
  • Printer Networking and Wireless - "Topics related to network printer installation, set-up, and troubleshooting on a home network. Issues include, but not limited to, printer not found and printer offline."
  • Web Printing Software - "Board to discuss printing effectively from web browsers, web sites and photo creation software. Topics related to HP’s MarketSplash, SmartWeb Printing and SmartPrint software."
  • Mac Printing and Scanning - "Topics related to utilizing HP products with Mac OS. Topics include, but not limited to, product set-up, networking, printing, scanning, and troubleshooting."
  • Other Printing Questions - "Have a question not covered by one of the other boards? Post it here."

Whilst a commerc ial LaserJet user could easily discount a few of the above boards (e.g. "DesignJet, Large Format Printers & Digital Printing Press", "ePrint, Print Apps, Mobile Printing, and ePrintCenter") it is not at all clear which board or boards should be used.

As there is a product-specific board for "DesignJet, Large Format Printers & Digital Printing Press", why not have a product-specific one for "commercial LaserJet printers"?

e.g. there are sometimes issues with LaserJet toner and fuser related problems - which I know are often answered and resolved by @DavidZuts

With the "Ink, Toner, Cartridge, & Printhead Issues" board, responders will have to wade through pages of consumer questions about "inkjet cartridges not printing black", etc. for these laser-related questions.

... and I mean no disrespect to volunteers like Bob_Headrick (or his alter-ego @Bob_Headrick ?) who do answer many questions about inkjet devices.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>most question authors cannot post evidence files on those forums, when the content of such would often prove very useful to analysis, and potential resolution of the problem.

Yes, that's where it is needed.

>they have migrated the topic, but to a different board, and with a different topic number:

The board doesn't matter, only the ID.  Basically you can't just update the site in the URL, you must map the ID.

It seems they didn't learn their lessons on the ITRC to EBC migration.  :-(

And it appears that the target of the link wasn't moved to the new forum since created in 2012!

(At least google can't find it.)

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/Laserjet-4100TN-printing-an-extra-page-with-some-printed-details/m-p/5779739

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

I have been testing out the new community to see what I would be getting myself into.  There are a few features that seem nice but there are a few major issues that could be addressed to make it easier for us Enterprise guys. 

1. Threads with No Replies - I like this feature.  I dont normally respond to anything that already has a response on it unless I already know the solution.  I find that the ones without a response are the most challenging and offer me a chance to learn something new.

2. Thread headers - Product name and OS - I like this feature.  Forcing the user to select an HP product and OS is half the battle.  Hard to fix somethinig when the user doesnt confirm what devices they have or the enviornment they are working in.  I wouldnt mind expanding this to include a few more criterea for a new post such as USB/WiFi/Ethernet connected.

3. Tags - I see some potential here - Could we find a way to automaticlly tag certain printer models as Enterprise devices or not?  If so that would be fantastic. 

4. Following/trending/filtering - Feeding off of the tagging system, if we could setup filters to show us the threads that are interesting to us that would be fantastic.  For example someone creates a new post and enters HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw.  The forum would auto tag it as "Enterprise", "LaserJet", etc.  Then your fellow experts could setup filters and views to show us threads recently tagged with that criterea.  Boom, now we filter out the junk we dont care to be bothered with.

5. Attachments - This needs to get improved - Waiting 48 hours for a simple image attachment to get approved (or whatever the delay is) needs to go.  Approve all images and let your user flag inappropriate content as we always have.  Its stupid to have to wait and see what a user is trying to tell us based on some invisible green martian approval process.  It delays troubleshooting and is a huge PITA.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>3. Tags - I see some potential here - Could we find a way to automatically tag ...

Huh?  Tags have been here too.  Not automatic of course.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/tagdetailpage/tag-cloud-grouping/tag/tag-cloud-style/frequent/message-scope/core-node/category-id/bsc-412/user-scope/all/tag-scope/all/timerange/all/tag-visibility-scope/public

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

> Huh?  Tags have been here too.  Not automatic of course.

The automatic part is what I mean.  The tags on this forum are not very useful for analysis or filtering (to my knowledge).

If we could find a way to better leverage the currently existing feature we might be able to customize the consumer forum to better fit our needs.  Everyone posts to one place, only people interested in "laserjet" or "enterprise" tags get notifications. 

Ofcourse, something would have to tag threads for us in the first place to make any kind of filtering possible or useful.  Right now its up to the users to manually tag everything with metadata.

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

More feedback.

After a few days of playing around on the consumer forum I can honestly say there are way too many posts for me to manage right now.  Just getting caught up on the new unanswered posts from the day before requires considerable chunks of time that are not feasible for me to maintain, and they continue to pour in.  Let alone try to read anything that already has a post that I might be interested in or could provide feedback on.

My current technique has been to monitor the unanswered threads for the entire Printers & All in Ones area, as I used to do for the Multifunction & All In One area on the EB.  The only way I could stay sane would be to find a smaller sub to monitor that fits my interests.  Unfortunetly all of the subs in the consumer boards are a bit too generic for my tastes right now.  There isnt one that feels like a good fit for me yet. 

Still looking for a better way to filter out the stuff I cannot manage or am not interested in.

Chris H
Honored Contributor

>> ... My current technique has been to monitor the unanswered threads for the entire Printers & All in Ones area, as I used to do for the Multifunction & All In One area on the EB.

Yes - because topics of interest (in my case LaserJet s/w, PCL) are spread over several of the boards.

>> ... The only way I could stay sane would be to find a smaller sub to monitor that fits my interests.

>> ...  Unfortunetly all of the subs in the consumer boards are a bit too generic for my tastes right now.

>> ... There isnt one that feels like a good fit for me yet. 

But there probably isn't a suitable subset - and as there are many more posts on the consumer forums (now even more with the EB merger), there are so many more than on the 'see all'  of the old EB area.

It's less of a problem for me (as I'm retired, and on the days I log in, I've often got time to spare), but it's still sometimes frustrating having to wade through loads of posts about inkjets (even if I just choose the "Printing Issues & Trobleshooting" board, which is (supposedly) where the EB "LaserJets" board migrated to), when I'm looking for LaserJet / PCL issues.

Chris H
Honored Contributor

@John_MB

The Product Name relevant to a question appears on most (although not all) new threads (because the question author is prompted to include this when raising a question).

How about making it easier for ex-EB users to filter out topics which they will (or won't) have an interest in, by including this product name in the topic summary?

For example, instead of seeing an entry like this in a topic list:

CaptureE1.PNG

we'd see something like:

CaptureE3.PNG

Then I (for one) would know that (in this case) the topic is probably not of interest to me.

edit: whereas if the product name included LaserJet, or one of the new OfficeJet Pro models (which support the 'traditional' Page Description Languages (PCL5, PCL XL, PostScript) supported by most commercial LaserJet printers), I possibly would be interested.