Announcements
1752489 Members
5729 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards Migrating to HP Support Forums

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards migrating to HP Support Forums

Yup, our best bet is to get HP to accurately tag everything with relevant meta data.  If so then it wont matter where people start thier new threads.  We could also setup tag filters and monitor the threads we care about like we currently do.

Fore example the "laserjet" tag would be:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/Laserjet/tg-p/board-id/Install

This could be super easy for me to bookmark and monitor to maintain my current volunteer interests in the new community.   At a glance it appears to monitor all subs and threads.  Imagine doing this for "Enterprise", "Multifunction", "PCL", etc.  But the last tagged thread with the Laserjet metadata was from 3 months ago : / so it wont cut it right now.

Granted Lithium may not have a way to do this out of the box.  But a forum bot could sweep through periodically, scan each post for content and then tag the relevant keywords based on a best guess basis.  Forum bots are common over in reddit, I use them on other websites for various tasks although they are primarily for reading and not posting.  Lots of potential here, but botting is generally frowned upon by corporate owned forums as a breech of contract.  If a user were to do it they would need to dedicate a machine and account to the task as well.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
John Getzke
Honored Contributor

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards migrating to HP Support Forums

I like that idea too.   Anythign to help us at a glance and filter out stuff would be a nice improvement.

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

> For example the "laserjet" tag would be:

> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/Laserjet/tg-p/boa​rd-id/Install

Actually a better link to follow would be this one:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/Laserjet/tg-p

The previous link appears to only follow posts in the install area.  This new link follows threads across all subs like I intended.  Much more recent activity too with a manageable work load at the moment (1-2 per day instead of 5-10 per hour).

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>This new link follows threads across all subs

Yes, that's how tags work.

DavidZuts
Outstanding Contributor

Here are some suggestions I wrote to one of the top members over at the new forum.  I am not holding my breath since they did not ask for input I highly doubt they will use any we give them.

"They still need to rethink how they are doing this and if they can reverse some of what they have done they need to.  Just start a new Community Topic, lets say IT Professional Printer and Digital Imaging and then just copy the complete Enterprise section they are migrating to the new Topic.  You then have all the posts and the current layout that Enterprise had which was much better.  Right now there is no topic for Laserjets which is a very big mistake since you have to go thru post after post of inkjet printers to find a laserjet question to answer.  Also they need to allow attachments for everyone.  It is nice when I can ask a poster to attach a sample of what is happening to try and solve the problem.  Without it, it is hard sometimes to figure out what defect or problem the user is having.  Thanks for all your help."

David

Chris H
Honored Contributor

@Dennis Handly

>>  I would have thought they would have dropped each board intact, so they don't have to do any thinking of where to move.

>> Then later spend time on a re-org, if needed.

>> Or at least asked for opinions.

The "asking for opinions" bit seems to have been missed out of the loop - it should have been part of the planning process, prior to any execution.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards Migrating to HP Support Forums

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>We are currently in discussions with our platform provider as to why user statistics for the past two years did not accrue to users at the end of the migration.

I got a message from Teresa_H saying they had done the last two years except for solutions.

ciufudean
Frequent Advisor

1. As a user of this forum, I'd like the notification emails to contain the message body so that I don't have to waste precious time logging into the portal just to find out what a topic is about and whether I can really help.

2. As a user of this forum, I'd like the forum to also work in my default browser Chrome so that I don't have to paste the links into a new IE window.

Thanks for helping me practice story writing.

Lucian

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>1. As a user of this forum

Are you talking about the EBC forum or the HP Support forum (the subject of this topic)?