Appliance Servers
1752799 Members
6063 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SA1100 and Windows 2000

CA816509

SA1100 and Windows 2000

I was wondering if a Windows 2000 OS could be loaded on a HP SA1100 web hosting appliance. If so, how would I go about doing it? Your suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sudhi
12 REPLIES 12

This is a "maybe" answer. Technically the SA1100 is just the INS1010 from Intel. However, the catch is in the graphics card.

Namely, the SA1100 doesn't have one; and Windows will blue-screen if you used one to install and then remove the card.

Though I believe it *might* be possible to uninstall the drivers for graphics and load the machine, this is a VERY IF-ey procedure at best.

I doubt anyone wants to risk their warranty for a maybe scenario. If you are going to try it, I can tell you what theoretically should be done to achieve this, but can't guarantee it will work.

Nishant.
CA816509

Thanks Nishant - so if I understand you right the issue is probably with the graphics card being pulled from the system after installation of the OS (in this case Win 2K server). If left in there, then perhaps, I should be OK? Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Sudhi
CA818336
Frequent Advisor

Microsoft now has an appliance group. Check out the tools there as they are now trying to sell windows to go on appliances that don't have keyboards, mice or monitors.

Sudhi,

We are currently in the process of finding a PCI riser that will fit for the SA1100. This should fix the gfx card problem.

Will keep you updated.
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi
I couldn't understand why to fit w2k in a server appliance, in fact the higter cost of the appliance is due to the added software, and the recovery tecniche.
If you want to run W2k, just buy a PC, it will do the same Job because technically it is just a pc

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
ken vasko

Nishant, Any luck finding that riser card? I've searched far and wide for it. All i know is that it's Intel, which they don't sell as a separate part, and it's got a Low Profile PCI on one side and a Full Slot PCI on the other. Countless Google and newsgroup searches are coming up dry. Anyone, ANYONE know? Thanks

yeah... a colleague found a reseller in Los Angeles that is selling them for around $50 each. We bought a pair and will be trying it this week.
ken vasko

Could you email me the web address for this reseller? thanks!

-Ken
kvasko@stevens-tech.edu
CA803470
Occasional Advisor

I'm Nishant's colleague who purchased the riser card, however, it doesn't seem to be working. After tyring countless scenarios I unscrewed the motherboard from the chassis and raised it up so I could bypass the riser and stick the gfx card directly in. This didn't work either. I am suspecting it's one of two things. Either HP hard wired the BIOS to look for the 80x25 LCD as the monitor/console or the graphics card is incompatible with the current hardware. I'm hoping it's the latter, but my guess is that it's the former. I'll keep you all updated.