1748169 Members
3968 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wow - Change that SA 1100 into a new machine

tony chamberlain
Occasional Advisor

Wow - Change that SA 1100 into a new machine

I decided I wasn't going to pay someone $200 to upgrade the outdated software on my SA1100.

So I took the machine completely apart and used a PCI video card, IDE cd-rom and a floppy drive to setup Mandrake 9 on the SA1100.

I replaced the harddrive with a 30gig - not a problem.

The first thing that needs to be done before you upgrade the device is to turn off the serial console direction - it's in the bios under system management - just disable it - it slows down the SA1100 big time until you do. After I had everything the way I wanted I removed the floppy, cdrom and video card. I had tight VNC installed so now I can not only ssh into the device, telnet to it, ftp to it, I can graphical control it. I am attaching a picture of my HP SA1100 running Linux Mandrake 9 (remember no video card is in the machine, it isn't needed)

I encourage you guys not to throw away those SA1100's they can still be used - if you don't mind spenind a little time on doing it!
3 REPLIES 3
tony chamberlain
Occasional Advisor

I attached a image to teh first post, click the paperclip to see it. Shuld have mentioned that :P
CA941259

"I decided I wasn't going to pay someone $200 to upgrade the outdated software on my SA1100."

Where did you find someone selling these updates? I have been making my own RPMs but would like some outside help if available.

Thanks,
/dev/idal
CA941259

NM, found the answer in the other questions you asked.

Thanks!
/dev/idal