4549 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

front panel control

Brendan_6
Occasional Contributor

front panel control

Hello,
I just recieved my sa1100 and was wondering if there was a way to turn off the front panel? I'm about to send this server to a DataCenter but the front panel obviously is easiest way to break into these servers...
I haven't found anything yet on how to disable the panel but I'm sure theres a way - even if it's a physical solution.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
CA818336
Frequent Advisor

Re: front panel control

If you lock yourself out accidentally, you will probably want the front panel. If you can not trust the people at the datacenter, why would you be sending your server there to start with?
Brendan_6
Occasional Contributor

Since this server will be in a datacenter I can't get to the front panel display anyway - I don't want it on. It's not that I don't trust the datacenter where I'm colocating this server - but accidents do happen and I just like to make sure it's as secure as possible.

It also wouldn't be a smart idea to leave customer information on servers if someone other than the owner of the machine can get root access simply by selecting root password from this panel.

william dalessi_1
Occasional Advisor

As far as I know. You can not disable the display.

You will need access to it. I have had to reset my machine and the only way to do it is from the panel.

If you dont trust the colocation service, then get your own high speed connection and keep the machine at your location.

Bill D.