Application Integration
1751972 Members
4641 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Cloning a SNAP, presenting to VCenter as a Datastore, then attaching the LUNS to a different VM server

SOLVED
Go to solution
amado_garcia

Cloning a SNAP, presenting to VCenter as a Datastore, then attaching the LUNS to a different VM server

Task:  DBA's would like to automate the action of cloning a SNAP, presenting that to VCenter as a new datastore, then attaching the LUNS in that datastore to a different VM Server, showing up as new drives on that server, where they can pull the DB data from.

Wondering if anyone has been able to do this or if there might be a third party app that might do this.

Thank you!

Amado...

2 REPLIES 2
jwagner137
Advisor

Re: Cloning a SNAP, presenting to VCenter as a Datastore, then attaching the LUNS to a different VM server

I know its possible to do this because at the place I worked before the Sql DBA and I worked to stand up what we called the verification box. Basically this was a sql server system that ran integrity checks on the databases by cloning the snapshot, attaching it to the server and then running the Sql checks that the DBA wanted run.  The whole process was automated.

I will see what I can do to recreate from scratch that code and setup instructions.

But I must tell you up front I can't promise I will be able to provide this, or that it will be done quickly.

John

wen35
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Cloning a SNAP, presenting to VCenter as a Datastore, then attaching the LUNS to a different VM server

Hi Amado, this is a very common use case with our zero copy clone -- i presume you already know how to do this manually (if not, let me know)...automating this now requires you to ssh to the nimble and execute CLI commands via your own script.  We are planning to introduce northbound API for our storage platform next year, so you could invoke SOAP api calls for full automation.