Application Integration
1748204 Members
4037 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does Nimble provides syslog capability?

SOLVED
Go to solution
monty88

Does Nimble provides syslog capability?

I have a customer uses Nimble Storage and our SumoLogic solution for logging aggregation.  They like to have Nimble error, warning, and info logs send to SumoLogic.  The easiest integration would be configure Nimble to forward log to Sumo via syslog. 

11 REPLIES 11
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hi Monty,

Nimble does not provide syslog integration today - any monitoring would need to be done from SNMP v2 "Get" commands.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
bgrieve65
Valued Contributor

Monty,

While there are no guarantees at this point, Syslog support has been a highly requested feature, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is available relatively soon.

Daniel-san
Frequent Advisor

So then when will SNMP being fully and properly supported?  Today we are stuck with the default public community string because Nimble's implementation of SNMP refuses to accept a community string with an ampersand (&) in it.  If that's been fixed in 2.0, well, we cannot *get* 2.0 because while Nimble's stated that it's available, it's not actually available to every paying customer.

aherbert23
Trusted Contributor

Daniel, there are no major changes in SNMP feature set in 2.0. With that stated, the latest 2.0 release should be available to you unless we have seen a possible compatibility issue with your system. If you are unable to see 2.0 as an upgrade target I would suggest that you contact support and they can help you get it.

You are correct that we currently do not accept special characters (ampersand is unfortunately in that list) for a community string, but it can be something other than public. This and other additional features are being planned for SNMP for a future release. Are there any SNMP items that you find needful to add as an enhancement?

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Syllogism is a must. So is individual logins

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Syslog is what I meant to say

Daniel-san
Frequent Advisor

i'm aware that something other than public can be used but when you've standardized an entire network on a given community string that includes &, it's not practical to expect customers to re-create that string, network-wide, just to accommodate one vendor with a weird implementation of SNMP that does not accept this character that every other system in the network has supported for years.  Nimble needs to get this fixed.  They've been aware of it for months.

alex_goltz
Advisor

+1 on the Syslog and individual logins request.  This feature was almost a deal breaker for us.

In order to have the Information Security community on your side, this is very necessary.

Especially if there is no other option but to have Nimble phone home the heath checks.

SNMP v2 is viewed as a large vulnerability in our environment.

monty88

Thanks Brandon.  I have a Nimble customer willing and eager to test it out as soon as this is implemented.  Please keep us posted on the progress. 

Monty