Application Integration
1748177 Members
4154 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Does anyone utilize scripting Hyper-V/Nimble Automations?

bbeulin69
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone utilize scripting Hyper-V / Nimble Automations?

Is anyone utilizing any Powershell scripts to automate processes for Nimble Volumes within Microsoft Hyper-V?  I am looking for feedback on what action you are accomplishing with the scripting?

examples I am looking for are:

- Establishing Dev environment from Production Data or Production VMs utilizing Nimble's Zero Copy Clone

- Rapid Provisioning of Virtual Desktops/Servers through use of Zero Copy Clone & Microsoft Sysprep

- Any thing related to management or monitoring of the Nimble Storage environment with Microsoft Hyper-V or SCC

Thank you for your assistance.

9 REPLIES 9
jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Im in the process of doing this now with VMWare.. the tasks (and code) would be very similar. without dumping a ton of code for different situations, what exactly are you looking to do (where to start)?

Not applicable

I have a great powershell script for Win2012 that will automatically create all of the iSCSI portals, connections and favorites for one to many adapters using MPIO.  All you need is the two IP's of the Nimble Array and your subnet used by your iSCSI network adapters, the rest is automated.  Takes 5-20 seconds to fully deploy.

I also have used the Nimble scripting to build all the volumes, storage groups, associate initiators, etc.

I have just deployed 14 servers in 5 clusters of Win2012 Hyper-V (R3) using Nimble Storage in the HOST and VM on the same dedicated physical adapters.  Most configuration deployed from SCVMM 2012 SP1.

If you need dedicated assistance, ryan at millerits dot com.

mkieran59
Advisor

Hi Ryan,

If you're able to do so, please feel free to upload the powershell script here in the App Integration space. Probably best to do it as a separate document. Ping me with any questions.

thx, Michael 

bbeulin69
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the response.  As Michael pointed out, it would be awesome if you could share your scripts with the community.  It assists other customers from reinventing the process.

Thanks,

Bryan

bbeulin69
Occasional Advisor

Justin,

We are working on an RFP and one of the requirements is integration with Microsoft Systems Center.  Obviously we are working on that as a company and will eventually have that functionality.  The point of my question was to see how users out there are utilizing scripts to automate processes.  I'm not looking for anything specific, more just what use cases are out there and if users have examples maybe they could post them.

Thank you for responding.  As you develop your scripts, it would be great if you could post them here in the App Integration section to share with other customers.

Thank you,

Bryan

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Actually im building a module right now, once i get a bit more functionality built in, i'll post it on github, and here.

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

initial Git post

jrich523/NimblePowerShell · GitHub

still very early so once it gets more mature i'll populate docs/examples/upload here and do a bit more write up.

mostly wanted to give it to you so that you can keep an eye on whats going on, to make sure functionality wise im on track.

kevin_kumpf

Good stuff.  Following this.

rayolander50
Occasional Advisor

Re: Does anyone utilize scripting Hyper-V / Nimble Automations?

We're not scripting via PowerShell just yet, but as far as scripting goes I've made an Excel spreadsheet that we use for planning all the various aspects of the array configurations and, as the data is entered, the necessary Nimble commands are automatically generated via Excel formulas. This saved us an enormous amount of time when we put our arrays in.

I'm updating the sheet now for the newer commands/syntax and hope to share it with the community soon...unless someone beats me to it (and project schedule permitting)