Application Integration
1753424 Members
5266 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How Big Should my iSCSI LUNs be for VMware?

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmw9
Frequent Advisor

How Big Should my iSCSI LUNs be for VMware?

How big should my iscsi luns be for vmware? ARe there any considerations to take ?

3 REPLIES 3
rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: how big iscsi lun for vmware

VMware 5.5 supports a VMFS datastore volumes up to 64 TB in size.  The nimble Array can support a volumes size up to 128TB.

So you have to ask yourself, "How big do I want to go?"

I don't see people making datastores much larger then 2 TB except when used specifically for large Databases, or shares.   The Nimble snaps are amazing for recovery and clones, so must of the rules around RPO and RTO are removed with a Nimble array.  The reasoning behind a 1 TB LUN was that you can restore a 1 TB volume from tape faster then a 2 TB Volume, and a 500-GB volume even faster.  But if your going to be recovering from a SNAP or replicated SNAP, then the recovery time the the same no matter the LUN size.

But - if your going to run external backup software - this is were you might want smaller Volume. Because of that time to recover, and backup files.

The best advice I can give is, "what ever your comfortable with for recovery times, and that your backup software can complete within your SLA".

vmw9
Frequent Advisor

hi thank you. makes a lot of sense.

just wondering, the io in nimble is overall the same across all volumes right since its one big system? or would it be changed across different volumes?

rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor

You're correct. The performance and storage is a share resource available to every server connection.