Application Integration
1753534 Members
5623 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to use plugin from vSphere client?

SOLVED
Go to solution
thpatterson30
Occasional Contributor

How to use plugin from vSphere client?

Still using vCenter 4.1.  We installed the plugin and if we RDP to the vCenter host the plug in works fine.  However, if I try to run the plugin from my vSphere client, connected to the vCenter, I get "Error.  Following tasks failed:  Getting datastores: Could not get existing datastores".   I've tried the client from multiple machines with the same result.  Probably missed something simple on the client.  All I did was enable the plug-in.  Do I need to install a dll or something?

13 REPLIES 13
eysfilm136
Advisor

Were running vCenter 5 and it's working properly.

On your client machine in vCenter go to 'Plug-ins > Manage Plug-ins' and make sure the 'Nimble Storage vCenter plugin 2.0' is set to 'Enabled'.

Other then that you may want to call Nimble support.

тАаShawn

Not applicable

My only experience is with vSphere 5.  I authenticated the plugin from the array console and closed/reopened the vSphere client afterwards.  The plugin was already enabled after this process.

abiren10

When logging into the vCenter client try to use the FQDN and not the computer name.

benwatson87
Valued Contributor

Are you logging into the vSphere Client as a domain user, or domain administrator? Check the permissions hierarchy, bearing in mind top propagates down.

eforgette119
Advisor

Hi Tom,

This is normally caused by a DNS resolution issue.  The vSphere client on the workstation sends the name of the vCenter server to the Nimble Array.  The Nimble Array then attempts to connect to the vCenter server using this name.  If the client knows the vCenter server as "server1", the Nimble Array must be able to resolve the vCenter server using "server1".  Quite often the resolver on the Nimble Array is not configured to handle the unqualified name.

If you continue to have trouble, please call Nimble Support.  I'm sure they can get you up and running quickly!

Thanks,

-Eric

Not applicable

I know this may sound strange but it could be your browser.  I'm on 5.1 and have no issues with the plugin using Win7, but do have issues with XP.

Also as the other guys have stated a premmision and DNS issue.

thpatterson30
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  I still don't have a resolution to this but here is an interesting tidbit.  We do have another admin user who can get the plug-in to work but only if he is RDP'd to the vCenter Server.  We are both domain admins but it doesn't work for me at all.  For him it works on the vCenter Server but not if he is running the Client from any other machine.

benwatson87
Valued Contributor

I've just registered the Nimble vCentre plugin on my vSphere 5.1 environment and can confirm all works fine when logging in with a number of domain accounts (with administrator privileges). Have registered the plugin from the Nimble GUI.

Have to ask, is there any likelihood of a vSphere/vCentre upgrade any time soon? Perhaps there's a version compatibility issue between ESX/i, vCentre, VI Client, workstation etc.?

rdhand131
Occasional Advisor

Hi Tom,

Best to call Nimble Support or send them an email at support@nimblestorage.com. Be sure to give them the versions for the vSphere client, the OS on the machine where the vSphere client is running and vCenter.