1748228 Members
4347 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: My Nimble Wish List

J Benway
Advisor

My Nimble Wish List

1. Integrate with Veeam backups. Veeam intergrates with HP and now NetApp, I know nimble is willing but veeam only seems to want to work with the established players

2. With Exchange running as a vm, do Exchange VSS snaps that clear the exchange logs.

3.VM centric backups and replication, not based on LUN/volume

4.Snap shot explorer to restore indivual files or emails without needing to mount to existing vm

Love my nimble storage,jb

46 REPLIES 46
tmoore106
Trusted Contributor

I definitely agree with your list. Adding comments below.....

1. I think it will come with time....

2. Agreed!

3. Vvols (when it actually ships) I think changes that.....

4. UFS Explorer Standard Access Learn it, live it, love it

stl_cardinals11125
Occasional Advisor

Would love some kind of Veeam partnership.

julez66
Frequent Advisor

Nimble Storage supported powershell commandlets rather than community driven (I love the community, but wish it was supported by Nimble).

BenLoveday
Valued Contributor

Here's a few things I'd be keen to see:

- FC support - would be great to be able to swap out those ethernet NICs for some Fibre HBAs as an option, particularly having support for FC direct connect (e.g. direct FC to two hosts without fibre switches)

- Mutliple SNMP trap targets

- RBAC - I know this is coming, good stuff

- Syslog support

- NFS or CIFS support would be an added bonus

- Remote power on - e.g. lights out management port. We often have power outages at sites and would be nice to be able to power on array remotely without requiring a fat finger.

- Support for replication to a non-Nimble target, e.g. NFS share or a virtual appliance

- Dedupe - this would be a nice to have

- A smaller 2RU model using the 2.5" Supermicro SBB chassis

- Better third-party monitoring & management support e.g. SNMP/SMI-S

- Kinda off-topic but a VSA type product would be cool, to compete with VSAN and HP Storevirtual VSA :-)

- An NFR virtual appliance for training/simulation/homelabs

Man this list makes me look greedy! haha.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

I think dedupe is going to happen

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

No comment...

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
briffle52
Occasional Advisor

I like many of Ben's items.. I have 3 more:

- More SSH keys (or maybe that will be part of RBAC) but I snapshot from my oracle servers.. I have more than 10.. Sharing an ssh key is an ugly hack..

- Better replication management.. 

-  Replication is usually awesome, but adding a new volume to replicate bogs everything down.  Let me do initial replication at a lower priority, and not using one of my 3 replication connections.

-  Along the same lines.. some of my volumes are more important than others.  Allow me to prioritize/QoS the replication connections.

- On disk encryption

- I don't really care if you store the key in firmware, etc. I'm more worried about when I have to send a bad drive back, I want to make sure its unrecoverable when its not in the array.

BenLoveday
Valued Contributor

Oh yeah, thought of a few more last night in my sleep :-P

- Some kind of QoS mechanism would be nice, I guess this might happen with VVOL support coming, would be nice to give particular VM's priority over others, etc. E.g. granular caching, rather than just enabling caching on a whole Datastore, or putting priority on hot cache queue

- SSL cert import for web management - think someone else has mentioned this before

- Oh, along the lines of my FC comment previously, even the option of chucking in some SAS HBAs and doing DAS between two-four hosts would be cool, kinda like the HP MSA SAS controllers can. Again just gives more connectivity options and the chassis support swapping out the HBAs - in theory :-)

- A central management tool of sorts would be handy. Infosight is bloody awesome but in some cases having internet connectivity to the array could be difficult. Also if you had multiple arrays it could help to manage them.

Think thats about it for now! Keep up the good work fellas :-)

mgram128
Valued Contributor

Ben,

Regarding "Central Management", Nimble OS version 2.x allow for up to four nimble arrays to be managed under a single UI.   You simply join arrays on the same management network to a group and you can then access them all from one place.   Optionally, you can take members of the group and join them in a pool to aggregated capacity and performance,  but if this is not a need for your environment, you can simple not pool resources and just management each array separately but from the same console.