Application Integration
1752592 Members
3375 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No Initiator Group in vCenter Plugin?

J Benway
Advisor

No Initiator Group in vCenter Plugin?

I upgraded this weekend to 2.1.4 from 2.0.xxx

I didn't unregister the plugin, but the 2.0 was missing from vcenter and when I went to add the 2.1.4 the view status button said no plugin registered. So I went and regstered it. I can see the new plugin in the vi client. It looks much better.

but I was hoping for initiation groups to be part of the new UI.

I created a new test volume and selected all the host in the current initiation group, but it created a new one.

Guess I'll keep using the nimbleUI to create volumes.

jb

4 REPLIES 4
jherrera126
Occasional Advisor

Jason - You are correct, in the latest version of the plug does not let you select the initiator groups but will create one for you.  I am biased but believe the new plug in is awesome.  There is so much detail and you can do almost everything from the plug in without going into the NimbleUI.  I would suggest playing around a little more and I think you will like it.  For more info see the integration guide (link below).

https://infosight.nimblestorage.com/cgi-bin/viewPDFFile?ID=ncm/2-1-0-0/Nimble_OS_2_1_3_vmware_integration_guide_2_1_x_PN…

rfenton4
Honored Contributor

Jason you can also check out the following blog that talks to a lot of the functionality that is happening in the background of the new plugin

https://connect.nimblestorage.com/community/configuration-and-networking/blog/2014/08/06/introduction-to-nimble-os-21-introduction-to-the-new-vmware-plugin

J Benway
Advisor

The information and look in the new plugin is much better. I’m just saying I won’t use it to create new volumes because it creates duplicate initiator groups and I can’t get it to match my current volume naming. I like to keep things clean and stardardized.

When I tested the plugin the new initiator group grabbed every isci device (4 hardware and 1 software) from each ESX server, I only use the software isci.

jb

eforgette119
Advisor

Hi Jason,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the vCenter plug-in, we love the feedback!  The issues you have identified are being addressed.  Although I don't have the authority to make any commitments, here is where I think we are on these issues:  The volume name issue is scheduled to be fixed in the next dot release of 2.1.  The initiator group creation process is scheduled to be enhanced in the next release of 2.  Specifically, only HBAs that are online will be added to the new initiator group.  In addition we are investigating how to safely expose initiator groups in the vCenter plug-in in a later release.

Regards,

-Eric