Re: Oracle Performance Policy

SOLVED
Go to solution
boerlowie42
Advisor

Oracle Performance Policy

Hi,

we are setting up Oracle on Nimble.

The LUN layout will be seperate LUNs for DBF, FRA & Backup (backup won't be stored on the Nimble, so that won't be an issue here).

For DBF, the perf policy will be Oracle OLTP.  But what do i pick for the FRA volume?  For SQL & Exchange, log volumes don't have caching enabled because there are mostly writes happening to those volumes.  Wouldn't this be the same for Oracle FRA volumes?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hi Sammy,

the FRA is a series of log volumes for Oracle ASM, and as such I would create a new Performance Policy with caching turned off (call it "Oracle-FRA" perhaps) - and my guess is the block size would be 4k. Compression turned on.

Interestingly, if you have any temp-db for Oracle you should also assign them a Performance Policy which doesn't cache - reason being Nimble will still read data back from NVRAM or DRAM if it's available even if caching's turned off by design!

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
boerlowie42
Advisor

I have set a Perf Policy with Caching disabled.  However, i'm not sure about the block size as for the DB it is 8 KB.  Not that familiar with Oracle what blocksizes it used, but our DBs are set to 8 KB, so i would guess the FRA volumes uses 8 KB as well?

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Morning Sammy,

The rule of thumb here is that if you do not know the block size always go for 4K, as it is divisible into 8, 16 and 32K blocks respectively.

Perhaps Tom Dau might be able to advise... Tom, any thoughts sir?

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
boerlowie42
Advisor

I just checked with our DBA and they use ASM for all Oracle volume and they set 8 KB as block size for both DBF & FRA.  So the Nimble 8 KB block size should be fine then.

Gr,

Sammy

tdau98
Solution

It depends on what FRA diskgroup is used for.  If FRA is used for archive logs and other database logs such as flashback logs, then you can use 32K perf policy.  If online redo logs also go to FRA then use 8K perf policy.  The Oracle best practices guide has a table outlining which perf policy is used for certain Oracle files.  Please let me know if you have any further question.

Thanks,

Tom

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Still really confused here since I'm not a DBA. I'm thinking 3 iSCSI Nimble volumes (in guest connected) with all Nimble volumes at 8K since the page file on the 11g setup is 8K. Not sure what the NTFS CLUSTER/block size should be. Archive volume .... No cache. Any clues.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

On RHEL it's suggested 8K for DB with caching on, 4K for Redo with caching on and 32 for Archive logs with no cache. No mention of O/S block size. If I followed that than the NTFS cluster size would be a max of 8k for DB, 4K for Redo and 32k for archive. Talking OLTP MODE.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

I meant a minimum not max. The array block size should never be more than the formatted size of the volume to avoid misalignment.

gss200338

I thought Nimble was working with a Vendor for the NVRAM capability and the YouTube video disscusses a proprietary NVRAM capability.