Application Integration
1748041 Members
5083 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Regain Space from Nimble Array After Deleting VMs that are Hosted by XenServer

SOLVED
Go to solution
rodney garner
Occasional Contributor

Regain Space from Nimble Array After Deleting VMs that are Hosted by XenServer

I've been deleting old vms from my Xenserver repositories that sits on a Nimble storage array.  While my xenserver 6.02 storage repositories continue to get smaller the total space usage on my Nimble remains at 89.75%.

I've deleted about 1tb of vms and no change on the nimble array space usage.

7 REPLIES 7
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you regain space from nimble array after deleting vms that are hosted by xenserver 6.02

Hi Rodney,

Unfortunately there is no way to "re-thin" a volume within XenServer 6.02 (in VMware the process is called SCSI UNMAP).

The best thing to do would be to create a new repository and XenMotion the VMs across, and delete the old one in order to reclaim the space.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
rodney garner
Occasional Contributor

Re: How do you regain space from nimble array after deleting vms that are hosted by xenserver 6.02

Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering if you know if the recently released Xenserver 6.5 which says it supports TRIM/Unmap commands to regain space would work with our Nimble CS210 with latest OS.  I want to try and regain space without deleting repositories first due to storage constraints.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Re: Regain Space from Nimble Array After Deleting VMs that are Hosted by XenServer 6.02

Hi Rodney,

Great question - I've sent the message into some folks at Nimble HQ, i'll post up what comes back.

Nick Dyer
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Regain Space from Nimble Array After Deleting VMs that are Hosted by XenServer 6.02

Yes with Xenserver 6.5 the TRIM support is been certified with CS family but you have to use the latest hotfix from Citrix http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX142141.

rodney garner
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the update.

I will look into upgrading our Xenserver host to 6.5 and apply the hotfix.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Thank you for confirming, Rajesh!

Nick Dyer
rodney garner
Occasional Contributor

Re: Regain Space from Nimble Array After Deleting VMs that are Hosted by XenServer

I did the upgrade from Xenserver 6.02 to Xenserver 6.5 and yes I was able to "regain freed space".  I went from 90.5% space usage to 56% space usage in about 2 hours.

Thanks.