108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using MPIO with Hyper-V

SOLVED
Go to solution
mfeightner34
Advisor

Using MPIO with Hyper-V

The following post is from 2013 and can be found here: Hyper-V Core - iSCSI Setup

In that post, there is a note stating "You cannot install the MPIO features in the free Hyper-V version."   I'm assuming they were talking about Nimble MPIO but cannot find any other reference to confirm or deny this statement -- can anyone shed any light on why this would be the case, or if it's true?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
pbitpro96
Advisor
Solution

MPIO can be added to Hyper-V 2012 R2 (the free hypervisor) because it is a feature, not a role.

No other roles can be added to this server.

Make sure your iSCSI initiator service is running (PowerShell or RSAT), run Install-WindowsFeature Multipath-IO (or use RSAT to add the feature), reboot, finish setting it up (timeouts, load-balancing, etc) and you are ready for MPIO goodness!

I don't think you can install the Windows Toolkit on the hypervisor... would be nice to have though!

mfeightner34
Advisor

Paul, thank you for the clarifications, much appreciated!

mfeightner34
Advisor

From previous post: I don't think you can install the Windows Toolkit on the hypervisor... would be nice to have though!

FYI to Paul and anyone else interested:

I tried installing the Windows Toolkit on our 2012 R2 hypervisors, and YES, so far everything is working fine -- including Nimble Connection Manager.  I just run the executable from command prompt, and it launches and does all the work for me when adding or removing volumes.

Very cool, Nimble!