108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VMware view and Nimble

SOLVED
Go to solution
wfarmer113
Occasional Advisor

VMware view and Nimble

So I have a smaller deployment of stateless (non-persona, non-roaming profile) desktops that I am working on rolling out. Realizing the space constraints, has anyone had problems where they have to go and prune the datastores manually because delete functions don't work from view and leave orphaned vmdks behind that never get removed? I've noticed this problem with a few desktop pools as I work through some of the growing pains of VDI in a classroom environment and I am hoping someone else has had the similar experience and can get me over this hurdle.

6 REPLIES 6
wen35
Trusted Contributor

Hi William - are you currently using linked clones?  For your specific stateless use case, linked clones with recompose option would work best.  If that's what you are using already, could you elaborate more on the process you take to prune the datastores?

-wen

wfarmer113
Occasional Advisor

I apologize for my absence, I am still mucking about with an exchange server.... ugh....

I currently use lined clones and I have the desktops refresh after every use, instead of recomposing. As for the process to prune datastores, my time is unfortunately very limited with all of the different hats I have to wear, so it primarily falls in to the letting the automated processes take over. With the help of support, we did turn on the unmap option and I have manually run this in the past. I get more than a bit concerned though when I start getting notices and see a growth for the datastore for approximately 40 linked clones go up to 1.8TB. Space management is my best friend right now, as I'm not sure when I will be allowed more storage space. Thanks for your quick reply!

wen35
Trusted Contributor

hm - 40 linked clones going up to 1.8TB?!!  what apps are you running in the guest?  if the delta files get that large, it might make more sense to use full clones (as you are not using recompose option).  When you mentioned automated process take over - could you elaborate more?  Sorry if you have already provided all the details to support already - if you have a support case open already, what is the case number?  I will stop by the TSE's office for a chat to learn about your environment.

wfarmer113
Occasional Advisor

So here is where the confusion comes in to place. I have different space readings across different systems:

View Admin - 6.5TB sized using 313GB

VMware Vcenter - 6.19TB Free of 6.5TB with 2.95TB provisioned

Nimble Console - 1.45TB used out of 6.5TB with 1.53X compression.

As I am being asked to deploy even more desktops, you can see where I want to be certain of myself before I move forward.

nglick57
Advisor
Solution

Hi William,

Take a look at this article, it might help you out.  Please let us know! 

Neil

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005049

wfarmer113
Occasional Advisor

Looks good! I've been looking at some other issues we have had on the network side, causing some issues downstream that seem to be helping as well.