108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vCenter 6.0 VASA for vvols

SOLVED
Go to solution
jason_brandt
Occasional Visitor

vCenter 6.0 VASA for vvols

With the release of vSphere and vCenter 6.0, when will the VASA provider be available for integration with Nimble?

7 REPLIES 7
wen35
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jason, we do have plan to support VVOLs -- please get in touch with your account team to get details.

What is your plan to upgrade to vSphere 6?

Thanks!

-wen

m_edwards

I recently logged a call with support a similar question, although related to vvols (but that maybe what you were specifically interested in)

The response was "Vvol support is targeted for version 2.3 of the Nimble firmware, which will be available this summer."

I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just to clarify, VVOL "Tech Preview" Support will be included as part of 2.3 of NimbleOS.

Again, please reach out to your account team to get some more details on this.

We'll also be blogging the upcoming 2.3 features in a few weeks time...

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
jason_brandt
Occasional Visitor

Thank you, I figured it would be a few months, was just curious if there was more of a set timeframe.

We do not plan to upgrade our primary VMware environment for a few months, however I have a secondary VMWare environment which I was hoping to use to test VVOLs in preparation for the upgrade.

nathanulph41

Hi Nick,

Can you clarify what "Tech Preview" means please.

Thanks

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello Nathan,

Tech Preview is a new terminology - and we give it to features or functionality that we wish to expose to end users in a test/dev environment only for kicking the tyres. Our VVOL implementation in 2.3 is designed to allow customers access to try out VVOL in a test environment, but it is not supported to implement it into production just yet. We don't foresee many customers jumping in head first with VVOLs today due to there being so many caveats to them right now, so Tech Preview is a good place for customers to build a small vSphere 6 cluster to try it out.

Hope this helps.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
nkumar67

Nick Dyer: Thanks for the explanation on Tech Preview!

@Nathan: If you are interested in the Tech preview program please contact your Nimble Account team and we can get you started if you are interested.

Thanks!

Narayan Kumar

Sr. Product Manager - VMware Integrations.