108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: where can I get the plugin for the vmware webclient

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario Couthino
Frequent Advisor

where can I get the plugin for the vmware webclient

Where can I get the plugin for the VMWare WebClient.  or What should be the values for the following fields when I want to register a storage provider  in the Manage tab for VCenter

URL :

Login

Password

10 REPLIES 10
dsandler71
Valued Contributor
Solution

Mario,

We currently do not support the WebClient, just the vCenter thick client. When setting up the plugin for the vCenter client, you'll want to point it to the FQDN or IP of your Nimble array(s) and provide whatever the username/password for an account you want to use to authenticate into vCenter.

trichert98

Do you have a plan to support the WebClient in the very near future?  VMWare has been pushing everyone to the WC for 2 years now, the visualc client will no longer be available starting with version 6 this year.  Already many key features can only be done in the webclient (i.e. hardware version 10 vm's can ONLY be managed in the wc, you can only utilize tagging in the wc, etc).  All of the other storage vendors have plugins for the WC now, when is Nimble's coming?  

stl_cardinals11125
Occasional Advisor

Yeah I have seen them push it a lot, with only a few things not ported to the web client yet. Would be nice to have everything in one place.

julez66
Frequent Advisor

VMware drives me nuts in this regard.  The WC would be great if it were designed better, performed better, their SSO implementation was pulled and update manager were better integrated.
But all that being said, I'm sure we'll see a WC plugin for Nimble in the not to distant future.

wen35
Trusted Contributor

Yes Todd & Justin - we hear you.  While we can't disclose exact dates - we assure you the WC plugin is coming  

warkaj1
Advisor

Pretty awesome to hear that. VMWare has all but killed the thick client in favor of the web client. I'm not a fan of the web client because of the fact I have to use IE to make it work in any reliable way shape or form. When I run the WC in chrome it's pretty unbearable. Anyone else have this problem? Also, found it pretty amazing that with the vcenter 5.5 appliance downloaded from vmware that it is built on hardware ver 7 rather than ver 9 or 10. seems strange.

stl_cardinals11125
Occasional Advisor

I wonder the same, all of my new VM's build in 8 instead of 10. I haven't updated anything because I feel like something will surely break and there is no large benefit per the spec comparisons I have seen.

jjones130
Occasional Advisor

Now that vSphere v6 is imminent I was wondering if there is any update with this. I know that the c# client has been spared but they are still pushing you towards the web for anything new.

rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor

The next release will be GA shortly, talk to your local SE to see if you might get a pre-GA version. It will include support for VVols and all the other good stuff.