Around the Storage Block
1753774 Members
6865 Online
108799 Solutions
New Article
StorageExperts

2019 in review: Shifting the focus from software-defined infrastructure to AI-driven operations

2019 HPE Storage recap_Blog_shutterstock_1492047179.jpgEnterprise infrastructure has 100s of workloads on and off-premises and 1000s of variables to optimize decision-making. How can we mere mortals handle the volume? Quite simply, we need intelligence.

It seems to me that not long ago I was taking down the holiday decorations and packing them away. Now the holidays are back and Mariah Carey is once again in heavy rotation on every radio station singing “All I Want for Christmas is You.”

Time really does fly. That’s why I think it’s so important to use the holiday season to reflect on the past year, relax with family and friends, and recharge for the New Year.

So before I turn on my out-of-office to close out 2019 and start engaging in some good ‘ol yuletide family fun, I wanted to look back on the past year at HPE. Professionally, I feel really lucky to be part of a team pushing the Storage envelope, and delivering innovation that is delighting our customers across All-flash AND Hyperconverged Systems.

It starts with intelligence

You may not realize this, but good things happen when you combine intelligence with data. I can attest to this in my personal life because this is the year I finally jumped on the Spotify bandwagon. I love to have music on as a backdrop throughout the day, but nothing grinds my gears more than hearing the same song every 15 minutes (I’m looking at you, Mariah). Now, Spotify “learns” my musical tastes, alerts me to new music, and optimizes my overall listening experience with customized playlists. The quality of my life has significantly improved because I save time and avoid disasters.    

Music curation started in the early 2000s when streaming services used music experts to manually put together playlists.. Now, Spotify relies on vast amounts of data from over 248 million active monthlyusers. It’s built on a sea of sensors and uses artificial intelligence (AI) in the backend. It’s a powerful example of how intelligence applied to data can disrupt an industry,since most teenagers have probably never even purchased a CD before. 

Global Intelligence powered by HPE InfoSight

Let’s face it. Today’s infrastructure can be as complex and confusing as making the perfect mixtape. (If you are a millennial, you may need to google that). That’s because enterprise infrastructure has hundreds of workloads across on and off-premise cloud infrastructures, and thousands of variables involved in optimizing decisions, all creating massive quantities of data. It’s simply too much for us mere mortals to handle. You need intelligence

HPE has this global intelligence. It’s called HPE InfoSight, the industry’s most advanced AI for infrastructure. I don’t think I’m being too bold by stating HPE InfoSight has transformed how storage is managed and supported. Over the past decade, it has analyzed more than 1,250 trillion data points spanning storage, servers, and virtual machines. Through cloud-based machine learning, it has saved our customers over 1.5 million hours by providing automated recommendations, and predicting and preventing thousands of disruptions. That’s a huge amount of time our customers get to spend moving their business forward instead of fighting fires.  

HPE’s Intelligent Data Platform

As you may have guessed, HPE InfoSight is our secret sauce and underpins our Intelligent Data Platform.  It’s a platform that starts with composable systems that are optimized for any workloads including your mission-critical, general purpose, secondary, and big data/AI workloads. 

And this year we used the power of intelligence to deliver innovations in all-flash and hyper-convergence to help HPE customers propel their businesses forward.

Leave no VM behind with a re-imagined HCI Portfolio

Organizations turn to HCI because they want a solution that turns infrastructure into automated VM vending machines. Unfortunately HCI is not immune to unexpected disruptions and delays to applications. That’s why this past year, HPE ushered in a new era of hyperconverged infrastructure—one that shifts the focus from software-defined infrastructure to AI-driven operations.

HPE SimpliVity for best efficiency

HPE delivers the most efficient all-in-one hyperconverged infrastructure in the industry with HPE SimpliVity. With game-changing HCI features like built-in backup, rapid recovery, inline dedupe and compression, we’ve been able to reduce capacity utilization by up to 10X, guaranteed.

And this year, by enabling HPE InfoSight in our HPE SimpliVity hyperconverged offering, our customers enjoy the power of HPE InfoSight. Predictive resource planning, global visibility and analytics, and support case automation let HPE InfoSight take the manual work out of managing infrastructure.

With a simple, scale-out architecture with one-click, non-disruptive cluster upgrades, HPE SimpliVity is especially tuned for Edge and ROBO deployments. Start with a compact, 2-node fully resilient cluster with built-in backup and scale from there. In other words, remote manufacturing sites, retail stores, and other mid-sized business sites can achieve full high availability, with all data services to host all VMs, starting with as few as two HPE SimpliVity nodes.

HPE Nimble Storage dHCI for the unpredictable 

As you move away from Edge and ROBO deployments you start to see the need for larger scale consolidation on more demanding workloads. To meet this need, we introduced a fresh approach for organizations who want the simplicity of an HCI solution for these business critical workloads with more unpredictable growth.

We call this disaggregated HCI, or dHCI. The beauty of HPE Nimble Storage dHCI is that it delivers the simple HCI experience that organizations know and love—in an architecture with flexible scaling that’s fully capable of handling Tier 1 workloads. This is disaggregated infrastructure that doesn’t require a storage admin and doesn’t introduce the complexity of silos, but does deliver six-nines of availability and the sub-ms latency and high performance that business-critical apps demand.

And of course HPE Nimble Storage dHCI is integrated with HPE InfoSight for full-stack visibility, predictive analytics and automated recommendations that make the whole stack out of sight and out of mind. Backed with the intelligence of HPE InfoSight, customers get a simple support experience where issues across the stack are predicted and prevented with a direct call to a L3 support engineer, if needed.

HPE Primera for your crown jewels

Last but not least is HPE Primera, which I believe ushered in a new era of storage for all your mission-critical applications.

IT complexity is typically at its worst when downtime, or even just a delayed response time, could cause irreparable damage to your brand. These are your crown jewel applications which have traditionally needed dedicated IT resources to optimize performance and controlfires.  

With HPE Primera, not only did we make it super simple, but we also raised the bar on resiliency and performance. For example, with HPE Primera, you can:

• Deploy, manage, and scale your storage in 93% less time, with a platform that sets up in minutes, tunes itself, and upgrades transparently without any hassle
  • See ahead and beyond the walls of storage to prevent disruptions to help ensure zero downtime, backed by a 100% availability guarantee
  • Predict performance for unpredictable application workloads with 122% faster performance for Oracle environments

What to expect in 2020

Daniel Ek, co-founder and CEO of Spotify once said “Music isn’t like news, where it’s what happened five minutes ago or even 10 seconds ago that matters. With music, a song from the 1960s could be as relevant to someone today as the latest Ke$ha song.”

I believe a similar case is true for the data generated by today’s businesses. All of your data has relevance and value. And if you are wondering what’s next, just know that we are 100% focused on helping you deliver an intelligent data strategy, where your data is always on and always fast, automated and on-demand, and hybrid by design. And of course —your data must be accessible and usable across your cloud environments, while also delivering visibility and lifecycle management through global intelligence.

Matt%20Morrissey_HPE.jpg

Meet Around the Storage Block blogger Matt Morrissey, HPE Storage.

Storage Experts
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Storage
linkedin.com/showcase/hpestorage/
hpe.com/storage

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.