Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3PAR Receives Highest Product Scores in 5 Use Cases in Gartner Critical Capabilities Report. Again.

StorageExperts

For the second straight year, Gartner gives HPE 3PAR the highest product scores in all 5 use cases in the 2016 Critical Capabilities Report for General Purpose Midrange Storage.

That says it all, doesn’t it?

Think about those words for a second. Critical Capabilities. Doesn’t it just sound important?  “Critical” is a serious, serious adjective. Whether you’re describing something positive or negative, if you throw the word “critical” in front of it you basically multiply the urgency 10x.

In our own industry, “mission critical” has long been the description given to those applications that businesses run that need to be up 100% of the time, need the lowest of latencies and require the utmost of non-interrupted flexibility. 

That’s why when I hear the word “critical” as an adjective it tells me the situation just got real. 

Most of you probably think of “Magic Quadrants” when you think of Gartner. And that’s fair since the MQ is about as famous an entity as there is in our business. The strength of the MQ makes it easy to forget that Gartner is probably the most established analyst in the industry. That’s what makes the Critical Capabilities report so interesting. 

Here’s how Gartner describes its Critical Capabilities report: “Eight critical product attributes will enable infrastructure and operations leaders focused on servers and storage to tailor infrastructure designs to meet their agility, robustness and usability needs across six user scenarios, including those that support bimodal and digital business operations.”

And those eight critical product attributes are:

• Manageability
  • RAS
  • Performance
  • Scalability
  • Ecosystem
  • Multitenancy & Security
  • Storage Efficiency

Gartner then takes those critical product attributes and runs them across the most common use cases today:

• Consolidation
  • OLTP
  • Server Virtualization & VDI
  • Analytics
  • Cloud

The end result is an analysis that, in Gartner’s view, is very comprehensive. And that result in the most recent Critical Capabilities Report for Midrange Storage has HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage receiving the highest product scores in all 5 use 3PAR Gartner Critical Capabilities_blog.jpgcases for a second straight year.   

There’s a very good word to describe this: unprecedented

Evolution matters, not awards

I’m not the biggest fan of rankings. I’m not the biggest fan of awards. They can be opinion pieces and very subjective. But that doesn’t mean a ton of research and effort doesn’t go into it, and I’m the first one to recognize that. I spend half my life researching so I know exactly how hard that is. That’s why I absolutely applaud Gartner’s good work here in establishing a thorough criteria and then scrutinizing the systems with great detail. 

An evaluation like this one clearly matters. Whether taken religiously or used as a guideline, there’s no doubt informed technologists care about a “critical capability” comparison.  Unfortunately, the world we live in has gone through some “yuuuuge” changes. Good or bad, change is a constant. And that takes us to the inevitable question:  How much longer will this report matter for this category? 

The market for spinning disk is clearly being supplanted by All Flash Arrays.  Those numbers have been pointed out over and over.  (I pointed them out myself here when I talk about the future of data storage.)

So how much longer will analysts award spinning disk arrays?

I’m going to answer that question with another question:  Have you heard this good news?

The architecture receiving high scores in the Critical Capabilities Categories is the very same architecture that powers our alll-flash arrays.

If you’re an HPE customer, then you can feel very, very good about that. I’ve told you all before 3PAR is an evolutionary product.  And in this crazy competitive world that reality seems to get lost.  You see a decision was made way back when 3PAR was first designed. The story goes that 3PAR could have been like every other storage array. It could have used commodity everything and just depended upon its code for whatever differences it was going to offer. That would have been easy. 

But that’s not us. We may make greatness look easy BUT a lot of work goes into making that happen. We decided that the marriage of software and hardware was important. And that leveraging commodity hardware in a completely different way was going to create significant differences between what we could offer compared to anyone else.

Then we took it one step further. We designed the array to feel like a living breathing learning growing thing. We built evolution right into it.

Great things are coming

Over the next few weeks and months we’re going to be making some announcements.  You’re all going to see evolution first hand.

Most of you are going to go Lady Gaga over what’s coming, as you should. And of course there’s going to be haters.  There are ALWAYS haters – that’s how you know you’re doing something right.

What there won’t be are deniers. Hate it. Love it. Makes no difference. We just keep evolving into something bigger, better, and soon, into a stratosphere no one else can play in. Stay tuned.

Read the full Gartner Critical Capabilities Report.

Jorge MaestrePNG.png

Meet Around the Storage Block blogger Jorge Maestre, Competitive Strategist, Global Storage, HPE. @BigStrongGeek

Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Labels
Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates/locations
Reimagine 2018
Join us at one of the Reimagine 2018 stops and see how we Simplify Hybrid IT, innovate at the Intelligent Edge and bring it all together with HPE Poin...
Read more