Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerating Object Storage and File Access with HPE and Scality

HPEStorageGuy

New Year. And we’re not wasting any time getting to the exciting news. That’s why I’m here to share with you today’s announcement by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) and Scality. We're deepening our partnership with a goal to accelerate the adoption of next-generation object storage with built-in file access.

Data generation is not slowing down. With all the data you are generating, storing, managing, or analyzing, have you thought through how you manage this data as it continues to grow to petabytes?  In fact, some of you may already be struggling to overcome the problems of data storage at massive scale—yet you still need to support legacy application connectivity?

Then this HPE and Scality solution is what you’ve been waiting for.

Our announcement builds on a partnership we launched in October 2014, when HPE began packaging Scality RING software with HPE Apollo 4000 storage-optimized servers.  Now, Hewlett Packard Ventures is completing a strategic equity investment in Scality. The enhanced partnership includes a commitment to integrate engineering strategies and deepen existing go-to-market collaboration with new sales resources, marketing investment and other programs to accelerate adoption of joint solutions.

Diverging Storage Requirements

The enterprise storage market is heading in two directions. Core enterprise applications needing high service levels and assured performance are moving rapidly to all-flash. As you know I always love to say, HPE is the fastest growing vendor in that market with HP 3PAR StoreServ.  In a recent blog post, we discussed the 3PAR world-record SPC-2 performance benchmark featuring the most scalable flash system in the industry.

Heading in the other direction, you’ll find bulk content storage rapidly growing data “oceans” made of unstructured/semi structured data. Capacity for scale-out file and object solutions is growing at over 40 percent CAGR through 2019. As a participant in this trend, HPE has developed purpose built servers for object storage.

For example, the Apollo 4200 has twice the storage capacity of most industry standard servers on the market, while the Apollo 4510 compute platform features over 544TB of capacity in one server chassis.

That’s right – over half a petabyte of capacity in one server.

You can read a brand new product review about the Apollo 4510 on ITPro. 

Today’s announcement brings together HPE Apollo 4200 and 4510 servers, the industry leader in x86 servers, with Scality, one of the leaders in the emerging object storage space.

Together, HPE and Scality are solving your growing unstructured data challenges with a best-in-class object storage solution.

The Data Explosion Can Be Messy

Whenever I bring up the data explosion, I feel like I should apologize as it’s been a theme pushed by vendors for many years now. But it continues to put pressure on enterprises to optimize storage practices and control storage IT spend. Traditional scale-up and scale-out file systems are challenged meeting the growing demand for data in terms of flexibility, application support, cost and resiliency. Enterprises that are now facing this transition include those developing applications that tap into the Internet of Things, where exploding amounts of unstructured and sensor-based data need a repository that scales into the trillions of objects. And don’t forget service providers looking to deliver consumer and business offerings as well as content archival and distribution in vertical industries such as communications, media and entertainment, financial services, healthcare, oil and gas and public sector.

One thing that these users have in common is the expectation that you cannot afford to introduce new storage silos even as they evolve to new application requirements. It’s no secret that you’ve have often struggled to bridge the gap between existing file applications and emerging cloud-native object applications. Living in both worlds has meant separate siloed products leading to unsustainable cost and complexity.

The unique Scality RING architecture paired with ultra-dense hyperscale HPE Apollo 4510 and 4200 systems enables enterprises and service providers to meet traditional and emerging application demands at petabyte scale in a more sustainable way. The Scality RING software running on HPE Apollo servers doesn’t require a forklift as newer generations of hardware are available. This means you can protect your investments and scale flexibly over time.

The solution takes advantage of modern object-based storage built from the ground up, while also providing a virtual file front-end to assure compatibility with legacy applications. When it comes to cost-effective scaling, not only does the RING scale to trillions of objects in a single namespace but the HPE Apollo system is up to 2 times denser than traditional compute architectures to drive down operating costs. With a massively parallelized architecture, applications benefit from linear performance scaling and high throughput capabilities appropriate for mixed file and object workloads across small and large file needs. 

HPE and Scality

gear heads_Scality_ATSB_11Jan_blog_sized.jpgAs you’re making the transitions I’m talking about here, you’re looking for stability in the midst of change.  With a global footprint, HPE provides the backing and support expected in Tier-1 enterprise and service provider environments.

I think the combination of the Scality RING software, ultra-dense Apollo 4510 and 4200 servers, and all the other value HPE brings—like consulting, financing, and worldwide support—enables us to provide the best object solution in the market with the flexibility, resiliency and performance required to drive down the cost of storage at petabyte scale. And that is good news in these days of exploding data.... um, data explosion. 

Read more about today’s HPE and Scality announcement.

About the Author

vExpert 5 years.png

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I have been a VMware vExpert for 5 years. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 7 years. I started my "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the HP separation, you can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact me via email.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
Read for dates
HPE Webinars - 2019
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more