Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advancements in Gen5 Fibre Channel - more than speed

HPEStorageGuy

I attended Nth Symposium at the beginning of the month - it's a great event because our partner Nth Generation focuses the event (and really what they do every day) on education. If you are in Southern California and need a partner to help you, I can't recommend them more highly! I'm hoping to share more from the event but today I have a video that I did with a couple of other HP OEM partners, Brocade and QLogic. 

We've had many articles on ATSB talking about the performance benefits of Gen5 Fibre Channel (16 Gbps). That extra bandwidth is key for all-flash as you can have lower latencies with a faster, bigger pipe. But between Brocade and QLogic, they've built some instrumentation into Gen5 that will give you more insight into your storage - from the VM into the storage. Dare I use a buzzword, but really an end-to-end view. And there are also built in QoS features that you'll be able to take advantage of.  

The video is an interesting discussion on these topics. I think the experience between the three of us in this video (AJ Casamento from Brocade and Todd Owens of QLogic) is over 100 years. Dang, I guess we should all be nearing retirement!  Here's the video.

I mentioned there are a few posts talking about Gen5 and 16 Gbps FC - here are links to a few of them:

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

Calvin is a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and has worked in storage for 25 years. He's been a VMware vExpert for 5 years. He was an early adopter of social media and has been active vExpert 5 years.pngin communities and blogging for 7 years. He started his "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the coming HP separation, you can find him on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact him via email.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more