Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An introduction to ClearOS with HPE ProLiant

HPEStorageGuy

I've heard folks around HPE mention ClearOS but I really didn't get what it was. While at SpiceWorld a few weeks ago, I got a really good overview of it and my wheels started to spin. 

Remember when a phone, MP3 player, and camera were all separate devices? Then, the smartphone came along and all ClearOS and HPE ProLiant.jpgof that rolled into one smartphone.

ClearOS is like that but for your HPE ProLiant server. It features an elegant user interface that is completely web-based, making it available on any browser on almost any web-connected device. And on a hardware level, you can now replace individual gateway, network, and server components with a single HPE server with ClearOS.

ClearOS is an operating environment based on CentOS Linux. What sets it apart from CentOS is that it has an easy to use GUI to manage the environment - which is perfect for Small and Midsize Business (SMB).  In the video, Blaine Raddon - SVP for ClearCenter, who partner with HPE with ClearOS - talks about pricing of ClearOS. From the HPE ProLiant side, you can start as low as $399 (MSRP) with a Gen10 MicroServer for up to 20 users or scale up to 500 users with a Gen10 DL380. 

What I also thought was really interesting was the ability to use ClearOS for file serving - either for Windows or NFS file sharing. So image using an HPE Gen10 MicroServer and up to 16TB of space.  A pretty cool little solution for SMBs that today pay a lot more for a white box NAS.  Here's a solution brief that talks about using the MicroServer with ClearOS for NAS

Check out the video I did with Blaine.

You can dive deeper into ClearOS at hpe.com/servers/ClearOS.  You can learn more about the ProLiant Gen 10 MicroServer at - you guessed it - hpe.com/servers/MicroServer

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more