Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blinders Off: The Real (Proven) Value of InfoSight

HPEStorageGuy

Every time I’m with our Nimble Storage team, I’m more impressed with what they have done. One of the crown jewels we talked about early on here on the blog is InfoSight.

I saw a recent article where the opinion was that HPE bringing InfoSight Predictive Analytics to other parts of Nimble InfoSight blinders_blog.jpgour hardware portfolio would improve operating margins providing that other vendors don’t replicate InfoSight’s functionality. 

You’re probably not surprised that we believe InfoSight will be a strong differentiator for the long term. And here’s why. 

Today, Nimble is recognized as the pioneer and leader in predictive analytics for IT infrastructure—and for good reason. InfoSight has been collecting and analyzing tens of millions of sensor data points per array, per day, since the first system shipped in 2010. 

Nimble has collected data from 5x more customer environments as the nearest InfoSight copycat, and has been doing it for 5 years longer. This translates to a huge lead in depth-of-analytics expertise and knowledge. Unlike imitators, the sensors collected by InfoSight don’t just come from the storage, but span the entire infrastructure stack—all the way from the storage to the VMs—for a breadth that’s unmatched in the industry. 

HPE’s acquisition of Nimble Storage only enhances this lead. HPE not only owns the best-in-class intellectual property for predictive analytics, but also has the resources to extend and embed it within the broadest technology portfolio in the industry. 

How InfoSight delivers on its promise

The purpose of InfoSight is to predict and prevent issues and deliver an unprecedented customer experience. Let me hit the high points for you. 

InfoSight predicts and prevents problems

This is impressive: Nimble arrays just keep working optimally without you having to do anything. That’s because InfoSight is always analyzing the environment with the goal of predicting and preventing issues before they impact your business. In the first Nimble Storage ChalkTalk I did I mentioned that 86% of issues are resolved by InfoSight before you are even aware of a problem. And, importantly, 54% of issues that InfoSight addresses are non-storage issues.

InfoSight offers global visibility and learning which has driven measured availability of over 99.9999%

If a problem occurs in any one system, Nimble’s goal is to use machine learning and predictive analytics to inoculate the entire installed base from hitting the same problem. In this way, the installed base continues to get smarter as time goes by. Year after year, Nimble’s measured availability has continued to go up.

InfoSight transforms the support experience for customers

InfoSight automates the tasks handled by traditional level 1 and 2 support staff. This has allowed Nimble to build a support organization made up entirely of level 3 experts who, on average, answer calls in less than a minute. Even the most complex issues are resolved rapidly because InfoSight has already collected all of the information required to solve the problem to root cause. What’s more, Nimble’s storage industry-leading Net Promoter Score (NPS) of 85 represents the strong confidence our customers have in how we support them.

InfoSight remains unique

Despite competitors blatantly copying a lot of Nimble’s marketing message, there is no other storage product that comes close to what Nimble does with InfoSight. No other product has achieved the above. 

Looking ahead—eyes wide open

I can clearly see the power of what predictive analytics could do for HPE.

Imagine if the benefits that Nimble delivers extend across the HPE portfolio?

I’m willing to go so far as to predict that HPE will become the leader in infrastructure predictive analytics, as our customers can soon be able to realize the benefits of InfoSight across other products, starting with 3PAR flash storage later this year.

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more