Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueprint for Software-Defined Storage: StoreVirtual VSA

HPEStorageGuy

StoreVirtual VSA Sofware Defined Storage Blueprints.jpg

Last year before the HP split, I did a series of articles looking at StoreVirtual VSA. The basis of those articles were short technical white papers the team had done looking at software-defined storage (SDS). We called those white papers "blueprints."  There were seven of them and I had blog posts talking about each. 

I found out last week that the team has updated those "HP" blueprints - because that's the kind of thing you have to do when you become a new company - and I wanted to share them in today's SDS Saturday post.

The HPE blueprints look at typical configurations that help you understand how you can deploy StoreVirtual. Each one is centered around a customer challenge, an example configuration, a high level diagram a list of suggested software and hardware, and recommendations for expanding or modifying the solution. 

Here's a brief overview of what each one covers:

• Blueprint #1 compares traditional data storage with SDS technology. Includes definition of virtual storage appliance (VSA), basic features and benefits, and environments for deployment.
  • Blueprint #2 describes the challenges of traditional IT infrastructures, and shows how SDS addresses these challenges. 
  • Blueprint #3 explores the limitations of physical storage systems and storage siloes.
  • Blueprint #4 addresses unpredictable workloads and investment protection in mixed-vendor IT environments. 
  • Blueprint #5 includes an HPE BladeSystem c7000 enclosure at the data center, and StoreVirtual VSA installed on industry-standard servers at remote offices. 
  • Blueprint #6 shows a cost-effective, simple configuration for small to midsize businesses looking to deploy SDS at remote sites with HPE StoreVirtual 4335 Hybrid Storage Systems at the main office.
  • Blueprint #7 describes open-platform storage solutions comprised of HPE Hyper Converged appliances and StoreVirtual VSA.

There's also a blueprints at a glance that you can download that has descriptions and links to each of the seven blueprints.

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I recently wasvExpert 2016.jpg  named a VMware vExpert for the sixth consecutive year. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 8 years. I started my "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the HP separation, you can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact me via email.

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more