Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing High-End Capabilities to Entry Storage

HPEStorageGuy

HPE Storage News.jpg

Today I have news to share specifically about our entry data storage portfolio. We're introducing two new products.  I'll give a high-level overview of those new products and share a new ChalkTalk. I'm not sure what I was thinking - I decided to do the ChalkTalk on Saturday morning.  And while I tell people that they aren't hard to do, they still take me time. But I love the communication format because I think it's a great way to take a topic and make it simple. And I hope that's what this ChalkTalk will do.

Hello HPE StoreVirtual 3200

The first product I'll talk about is a brand new storage array - the HPE StoreVirtual 3200.  Now of course StoreVirtual isn't new but the design of this is. It's an active-active dual controller array which is very different from the single-node StoreVirtual 4000 appliances.  The StoreVirtual 3200 provides a next-generation, entry storage array starting at $6,000 (U.S. street pricing) and is based on software-defined DNA. While it's a new platform, we have a bit of experience with StoreVirtual as there are over 200,000 deployed worldwide (including VSAs, storage appliances and hyper-converged appliances). 

A New Hybrid: MSA 2042

The MSA 2042 builds on the success of the MSA 2040 and delivers a few new things: 800GB of SSD, all-inclusive software, and a starting price of $10,000 (U.S. street price).  I mentioned all-inclusive software - that's worth a bit more detail.  About a year ago we announced the Advanced Data Services for the MSA family (2040 and 1040). This software virtualizes the storage pool through wide striping and brings lots of other features like thin provisioning, SSD read cache, automated tiering, snapshot enhancements like redirect on writes, and more.  In addition to the Advanced Data Services, we're also including up to 512 snapshots and remote replication.  All of this software was priced at over $7000 - it's now included at no extra charge.  How cool is that!

Let's ChalkTalk

Since I spent my weekend working on the ChalkTalk, I don't want to give everything away in the blog post, so here's the ChalkTalk. The ChalkTalk is titled the HPE Entry Storage Portfolio Overview - I spend the first half of it talking about the new products and then the remaining time hits the rest of the entry storage portfolio.  

I think this is pretty exciting stuff - and it's amazing to me to see the kinds of features we now have in entry storage arrays. There really are high-end features that have made it into the StoreVirtual 3200 and MSA 2042. 

I've also drafted a couple of my storage experts to go a bit deeper in blog posts you'll see over the next day.  Later today (Monday, August 15), we'll have a post that goes deeper on the StoreVirtual 3200 and tomorrow we'll have more on the MSA 2042.  I'll give you a hint - I have ChalkTalks for each product that I've hyperlinked in the Entry Storage Overview ChalkTalk that you can watch and get a bit more of the details behind the new products.  You can see all of the related posts with the blog label "entry storage"

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I recently wasvExpert 2016.jpg  named a VMware vExpert for the sixth consecutive year. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 8 years. I started my "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the HP separation, you can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact me via email.

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Comments
varssd

Calvin, just out of curiosity, can StoreVirtual be compared with Storage Spaces Direct in functionality?

HPEStorageGuy

varssd - I'm sure it could be as they're both in the category of "Software-defined Storage".  That said, I think Storage Spaces has a long way to go before it has the enterprise capabilities (and reliability) of StoreVirtual VSA. 

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more