Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catching Up with Hewlett Packard Labs Research

HPEStorageGuy

I could have sworn that I had posted a blog with a video demo I did with Hewlett Packard Labs (I'll just say "Labs" from now on) but as I went looking for it, I didn't do it. I published the video on YouTube and forgot to write a blog post. So I want to catch you up on what I saw back in early June at Discover from Labs. There are two videos I have to share: The Machine and Optical Computing. They are both impressive in their own right but since I've talked about the Machine in past ATSB posts, let's start there. 

The Machine 40-node prototype40 Node Hewlett Packard Labs Machine.PNG

Back in May, Labs had an announcement about the largest Memory Driven Computing environment on the planet: a 40-node Machine prototype.  It's a 160TB of memory sitting in the "Sandbox" in Ft. Collins, Colorado. In my tour of this 40-node Machine, I got to see a mock up and a live workload running on the 40-nodes. It's also using Phontonics optical communication that I've got a look at and blogged about in previous posts. Check out the video I did with Susan Benzel from Labs giving me a walkthrough of the 40-node Machine.

Let's get optical

I mentioned the Photonics demos I've had in the past - the next look into Labs takes Photonics and marries it with computing - Optical Computing. Researcher Thomas Van Vaerenbergh from labs was my tour guide for this really interesting research 

Get your geek on

Here are a few links for you to really dive into what is going on in Labs:

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, please do as it's a great way to connect with me! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
See posts for dates
See posts for locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2018
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more