Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catching Up with Hewlett Packard Labs Research

HPEStorageGuy

I could have sworn that I had posted a blog with a video demo I did with Hewlett Packard Labs (I'll just say "Labs" from now on) but as I went looking for it, I didn't do it. I published the video on YouTube and forgot to write a blog post. So I want to catch you up on what I saw back in early June at Discover from Labs. There are two videos I have to share: The Machine and Optical Computing. They are both impressive in their own right but since I've talked about the Machine in past ATSB posts, let's start there. 

The Machine 40-node prototype40 Node Hewlett Packard Labs Machine.PNG

Back in May, Labs had an announcement about the largest Memory Driven Computing environment on the planet: a 40-node Machine prototype.  It's a 160TB of memory sitting in the "Sandbox" in Ft. Collins, Colorado. In my tour of this 40-node Machine, I got to see a mock up and a live workload running on the 40-nodes. It's also using Phontonics optical communication that I've got a look at and blogged about in previous posts. Check out the video I did with Susan Benzel from Labs giving me a walkthrough of the 40-node Machine.

Let's get optical

I mentioned the Photonics demos I've had in the past - the next look into Labs takes Photonics and marries it with computing - Optical Computing. Researcher Thomas Van Vaerenbergh from labs was my tour guide for this really interesting research 

Get your geek on

Here are a few links for you to really dive into what is going on in Labs:

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, please do as it's a great way to connect with me! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more