Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composable Infrastructure, Synergy, and Storage

HPEStorageGuy

Have you ever been exhausted and exhilarated at the same time? That's how I feel after my week at HPE Discover in London. I flew out Sunday morning and got back home Friday night. Over that 6 days, I think I got about 15 hours sleep. Thus I was exhausted. But man, what an event it was. And thus my exhilarated. 

Synergy at Discover (173x320).jpgThe big news coming out of the event was HPE Synergy. Synergy was designed for Composable Infrastructure. We started talking about Composable Infrastructure at HP Discover in Las Vegas. I must admit, with everything we had going on in storage, I didn't have time to come up to speed on Composable. The last few weeks has been a crash course for me. In this post, I'll give you my quick overview of Composable Infrastructure, share a video I did at Discover giving a walkthrough of Synergy, and another video I did talking Storage for Composable Infrastructure.  So here we go.

Introducing Composable Infrastructure

Here's how I quickly summarize Composable Infrastructure. It's a pool of fluid resources - compute, storage, and networking - and make those resources essentially invisible so that IT can act like a cloud provider. It maximizes the speed, agility, and efficiency of infrastructure and operations across virtually any workload. Essentially, Composable is Infrastructure as code. 

And the key to delivering this is the underlying automation through a unified API that abstracts the infrastructure and template-driven software-defined intelligence.  

Hello Beautiful!

The instantiation of Composable Infrastructure is HPE Synergy.  At Discover, I went asking around the Synergy demos who could do a walk-through of the product for me. I scored!  Paul Durzan is the VP of Product Management and joined me to talk about Synergy. These type of walk-though videos tend to be popular so I'm excited to have it for you.

Composing Storage

As a storage guy, I wanted to understand how storage fit in.  Gary Thunquest is a long time architect in HPE Storage R&D.  Basically, he's got technical chops I could only dream of. And he's the architect behind how we'll include storage in Composable Infrastructure. I have a short video with him from Discover so check it out. 

Learning More 

I think you'll be hearing a lot more about Composable Infrastructure over the next several years. And I'll certainly be talking about it here on ATSB. I think this is an important trend and one that clearly Hewlett Packard Enterprise has taken the lead on. In the mean time, let me share a few things to help you learn more:

About the AuthorvExpert 5 years.png

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 32 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I have been a VMware vExpert for 5 years. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 7 years. I started my "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the HP separation, you can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact me via email.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
Read for dates
HPE Webinars - 2019
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more