Around the Storage Block
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gen 5 Fibre Channel and the all flash 3PAR StoreServ

on ‎01-11-2014 07:23 PM

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpgBy Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy  vexpert 2012 logo.gif

With the performance increases you can realize with the all-flash HP 3PAR StoreServ 7450, I thought a ChalkTalk focusing on the storage network would be useful.  In the ChalkTalk, I focus on the HP StoreFabric B-Series.  There are a few key benefits that you can drive with Gen 5 16Gb Fibre Channel - and in case you aren't aware of what I mean by Gen 5, that's 16Gb/sec.  Those benefits are:

• Increase application performance: Obviously with more bandwidth on the network, you can virtually eliminate the network as a bottleneck.
  • Workload scalability: you can deploy more physical servers and increase your VM density to ensure applications get the resources they need.
  • Increased availability: is a solution that dramatically simplifies Fibre Channel (FC) SAN administration

So if you're thinking about deploying an AFA HP 3PAR StoreServ, check out the ChalkTalk.

Here are a few more resources for you to check out:

0 Kudos
About the Author

I have worked at HP and now HPE for 32 years, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

on ‎01-13-2014 02:08 PM

Excellent stuff!  Thanks for sharing!

on ‎01-15-2014 02:05 PM

Great stuff as always Calvin.  You hit it on the head... again!  Especially glad you called out that Gen 5 isn't just about speed but all the other value that only Gen 5 FC can deliver.

on ‎01-16-2014 07:23 AM

Very nice movie with interesting charts. 
Is it possible to see full benchmark summary? 

on ‎01-16-2014 08:10 AM

You can find the full paper with the testing from Demartek on this blog of mine that focused on it: /t5/Around-the-Storage-Block-Blog/To-use-16Gbps-Fibre-Channel-or-not-that-is-the-question/ba-p/145821 

Nov 29 - Dec 1
Discover 2016 London
Learn how to thrive in a world of digital transformation at our biggest event of the year, Discover 2016 London, November 29 - December 1.
Read more
Each Month in 2016
Software Expert Days - 2016
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more