Around the Storage Block
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage: What a Relief. No Conflicting Opinions Here.

StorageExpert ‎12-09-2016 12:02 PM - edited ‎02-15-2017 07:39 AM

There is so much uncertainty in the world right now. Wherever you look, it’s easy to find a narrative intended to create conflicting opinions that just pull us in different directions. That’s why with so many differing opinions No Conflicting Opinions _Gartner_3PAR-blog.jpgdividing us unnecessarily, it is absolutely intoxicating that we can talk about a subject pretty much everyone agrees with. HPE 3PAR is **bleep** good. (And here’s why.)

And to drive that point home in today’s blog we get to lean on the independent view of the folks at Gartner.

Gartner took a look at the market and positioned HPE as Leader for both Ability to Execute and Completeness of Vision.  And we believe in this day and age the ability to rise to the top across those two axis counts for a lot.

Gartner_1.pngGartner Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Arrays. October 2016. This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from HPE.

We definitely appreciate the assessment from Gartner.  It’s nice to know they recognize our vision and execution. 

Driving this point home even further is the fact that HPE with 3PAR StoreServ is also a leader in Gartner’s Solid State Array Magic Quadrant.

Gartner isn’t the only analyst evaluating HPE Storage strengths. A few weeks ago, I pointed out how IDC came to exactly the same conclusion and for the second straight year, DCIG awarded HPE 3PAR its Best-in-Class award.

Do you know why we believe all three of these great analysts validated us?

It’s because we do EXACTLY what we say we do.

That is a rarity in EVERY industry.  I don’t care if you’re looking at IT or furniture or electronics—or even politics (definitely no political commentary!).  There is always fine print.  There is always a claim of feature or functionality that may be something that can be done but not with the simple push of a button or mouse-click. Or worse, marketing that sells little more than vaporware and a “make-believe” vision but never translates to product capabilities customers can take advantage of. And like all the noise of the political landscape today, neither of these things is sustainable—and neither is their ability to execute against a fragmented, unclear, and difficult to rationalize vision. 

And that’s what makes our most recent standing in Gartner’s MQ special. The ability to execute on our vision is what separates us, and will continue to separate us, from the other vendors who make a lot of noise but lack the engineering depth HPE has to deliver.

Instead of talking about rankings and awards I’d much rather focus on why we’re a Leader in both Magic Quadrants and in the eyes of other analysts.

Evolution matters.

We don’t often think about evolution in the context of a product. I would argue that most people think of technology as a “fixed” or rigid thing. Need new features?  Wait until the next model comes out!  And most of the market is built on that premise. Look at the TV examples. A plasma TV couldn’t offer LCD. An LCD couldn’t offer LED. An LED wasn’t a smart TV.  A smart TV isn’t a media player.  And so on.  We’ve always just accepted that’s how technology works.

But that’s not how 3PAR works. That’s not what 3PAR is. That’s just not how HPE does things.    We set our goals high with a vision of transcending media and eliminating dead-ends.  Then we focused on making the product adaptable to the wave of technological enhancements that are coming over the next couple of years. 

That’s why in the world of spinning disk, HPE 3PAR was a revolutionary technology. But in the world of flash, it’s an evolutionary one.

And it’s the recognition of that fact that makes us a leader, the only leader with the same product, in both Magic Quadrants.

Warning:  I’m about to get geeky.

Most of you already know that I’m always on the lookout for everyone’s stories.  I like real facts & real figures not slogans or catch phrases. That’s why talking about HPE 3PAR as an evolutionary product isn’t something I take lightly. 

The facts simply support the case and are incontestable.  It would be irresponsible not to discuss it.

Consider the basic architectural elements that separate spinning disk designs from all-flash designs:

disk_flash_3par.png

That’s just where it starts. There’s also the obvious software advantages that HPE 3PAR brings to the table in this discussion. Software such as advanced replication features, unique depths of integration with Microsoft and VMware, native appliance-less federation, security domains that protect multi-tenant workloads and mixed customer data centers, quality of service  that ensure latency protection, and so much more. 

Normally this is where the conversation ends and the marketing begins.  But you already know I care about the facts and not the stories. So if we just stopped there then in my opinion this wouldn’t be enough to make for a compelling argument. And we don’t stop there.  Like evolution in nature, evolution in HPE 3PAR is ongoing.

There are evolutionary innovations that 3PAR has incorporated within its arrays.  Features like:

• Adaptive Sparing, our ability to both increase the capacity of flash drives by greater than 20% for drives smaller than 4TB and increase the DWPD of Flash drives by leveraging all of the overprovisioned cells within the SSD themselves
  • Express Layout, an HPE 3PAR feature where the individual media is actively owned by multiple controllers creating greater levels of resiliency in significantly smaller hardware footprints

And think about new technologies like Storage Class Memory or NVMe and how we’re so far out in front of the pack we are with innovations that we continue to incorporate into 3PAR.  Evolution.  Love it.

Back to Gartner.

With all of this going on it’s no wonder Gartner places us a Leader in both its General Purpose and Solid State Array Magic Quadrants. What we do is focus on the right architecture and solve more problems & create greater levels of flexibility and resiliency for our customers. From Gartner:

Leaders have the market share, credibility, and marketing and sales capabilities needed to drive the acceptance of new technologies.

Leaders demonstrate a clear understanding of market needs, they are innovators and thought leaders, and they have well-articulated plans that customers and prospects can use when designing their storage infrastructures and strategies.

That doesn’t tell the whole story but it does give you some insight into why Gartner ranks us so high. Click the links and read the reports and see what Gartner says about HPE (and our competitors). I know you’ll agree that the evolutionary strength of our platform is second to none.

Jorge MaestrePNG.png

Meet Around the Storage Block blogger Jorge Maestre, Competitive Strategist, Global Storage, HPE. @BigStrongGeek

Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExpert

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Comments
Michael Bavaro
on ‎12-09-2016 01:25 PM

Great share, love all the images and there is a lot of useful information in here.

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more
What's New