Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE 3PAR StoreServ all-flash storage: king of the storage jungle

StorageExperts

What makes HPE 3PAR StoreServ all-flash storage the king of the storage jungle? Three traits it shares with this most magnificent of animals: Power. Resilience. Flexibility. 

3PAR_king of the storage jungle_blog.jpgRecently we announced new AI and Cloud Automation features that build on the HPE 3PAR Tier-1 all-flash foundation.  For those that missed the news, check out my storage news blog where I compare HPE InfoSight’s AI capabilities for 3PAR with the “precogs” from the book/film Minority Report.  

Since you can’t build a solid house without a strong foundation, I thought I’d spend this week digging into more of the 3PAR Tier-1 all-flash foundation. . . and why I believe 3PAR is the king of the storage jungle. (Yes. . . another movie-related analogy is coming your way! You can tell I’m a film buff, right? And now my daughter is too!)

With their huge manes and majestic appearance, lions have long been considered the “king of beasts” or “king of the jungle.” In this blog post inspired by my daughter’s newfound love of The Lion King, I’ll explain how HPE 3PAR StoreServ flash storage shares core attributes with the magnificent lion.

The power to handle anything

The lion is the embodiment of massive power and its roar is one of the most terrifying sounds in the animal kingdom. In fact, the powerful roars of a lion can be as loud as 114 decibels (the equivalent of a rock concert) and can be heard up to 5 miles (8km) away.

“Very strong and powerful storage, with great performance for mixed workloads.”  – Ernesto Bonhoure, Chief Technology Officer, Hospital Aleman (Source: TechValidate)

HPE 3PAR is just as powerful and strong—with more than 3 million IOPS, all at sub millisecond latency enabling high service levels and instant application provisioning.  The power behind 3PAR’s ability to handle anything is due to the unique scale up or scale out architecture. It’s the only platform that organically uses every port, every path, every media actively—even when scaled out—to create a fluid balance of horsepower that is always on, always fast (and best of all, never has to be managed).

Not only do you get great blazing fast performance, but you can also out scale, outgrow, and outlast any data demands. Only HPE 3PAR allows you to start with as little as 4TB and seamlessly grow in virtually any increment to over 20PBs in a single system.  No other system in the industry let’s you start so small and grow to such massive scale!

Flexible to adapt to any need or environment

Lions are the only cat species that forms social groups known as prides. The combined strength and power of a pride enables lions to survive and thrive in a wide range of habitats, from open plains to thick brush and dry thorn forest.

“We run everything using HPE 3PAR storage.” –Brian Griffith, IT Manager, Catholic Education, St John’s Regional College (Source: TechValidate)

HPE 3PAR also delivers the flexibility to adapt to just about any need or environment.  For example, 3PAR is the only storage system that can simultaneously handle any or many apps, regardless of block size. No manual tuning is needed.

3PAR also seamlessly fits into any environment because we offer a broad set of integrations that make it super easy run any workload. For example, we’ve got deep ecosystem integrations across hypervisors, applications and emerging environments like Docker and Mesos. . . you name it. All are consolidated on the same enterprise-grade storage with 6-nines availability. These tight integrations make it super easy to leverage 3PAR’s rich data services. This means you can deploy with ease all of 3PAR’s advanced functionality like data compaction, Quality of Service, snapshots and more.

Resilient end-to-end data protection

Lions are very smart and use intelligence to hunt as a group. This enables them to protect one another.  They also do not fear other animals because they have no natural predators.  Or to paraphrase Timon in The Lion King, nothing eats a lion because they are at the top of the food chain. That’s about as resilient as it gets!

“Being a bank, the availability of our applications is crucial to the financial success of our clients and our organization. Achieving 100% uptime over 5-years across 3 arrays has delivered unprecedented reliability.” – Ryan Burgess, Manager, Technology Infrastructure, BlueShore Financial (Source: TechValidate)

I like to think of 3PAR as the top of the storage food chain which means you can run your business-critical and misson-critcal applications without fear of downtime. Full hardware redundancy is built into the system, mitigating all single points of failure.When you follow our best practices, we’ll guarantee “six nines” availability through the HPE Get 6-Nines Guarantee program.

This is reinforced with added 3PAR intelligence for end-to end-resilience and risk reduction. For example:

• End to end data integrity from from server host to flash media with 3PAR Persistent Checksum—Built-in data integrity checking assures the data sent from a host is exactly the same data written to (and, later, read from) a SSD.
  • Mission-critical high availability with 3PAR Peer Persistence—Built-in replication enables automatic and transparent recovery from fabric, array and even complete site failure.
  • Full insight into a SAN fabric with 3PAR Smart SAN—Built-in automated SAN zoning makes fabric provisioning of hosts easy and error free.
  • Flash-integrated application protection with 3PAR RMC—Built-in data protection to HPE StoreOnce as a second line of defense enables self-service application managed protection, lowers cost and complexity by reducing the need for a backup application, and reduces risk by protecting applications running on 3PAR against storage platform outage, file loss or application corruption beyond the oldest snapshot.

Welcome the king of the storage jungle to your data center

Next time you’re at the zoo, or hear “Can you feel the love tonight,” or catch an MGM movie (you know, the movie studio with the roaring lion at the beginning of all its movies), I hope it reminds you of the king of the storage jungle: HPE 3PAR StoreServ Tier-1 all-flash storage. It’s powerful enough to handle anything you throw at it.  Flexible to easily adapt to any environment. And resilient for end-to-end data protection.

Don’t just take my word for it.  Check out this infographic to see what our customers have to say about their experiences with HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage. Or for a deeper dive on this topic, catch the replay of this recent webinar I did on all things HPE 3PAR.

Matt Morrissey_HPE Storage.jpeg Meet Around the Storage Block blogger Matt Morrissey, 3PAR Product Marketing Manager, HPE. 

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Labels
Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates/locations
Reimagine 2018
Join us at one of the Reimagine 2018 stops and see how we Simplify Hybrid IT, innovate at the Intelligent Edge and bring it all together with HPE Poin...
Read more