Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE 3PAR and Intel Optane: Built of Speed

HPEStorageGuy

Intel has done what we all have been waiting for and announced its 3D Xpoint-based SSD called Optane SSD DC P4800X. In its announcement, Intel said that the Optane drive would be available in the second half of 2017. Intel_Optane and 3PAR blog.jpgHere's a paragraph from Intel's press release:

"An industry-leading combination of high throughput, low latency, high quality of service and high endurance enable the creation of solutions that remove data bottlenecks, unleash CPU utilization and deliver unprecedented insights. Intel® Optane™ SSDs offer unrivaled performance at low queue depth, where the vast majority of applications generate storage workloads, which means CPUs are more active and more fully utilized. Intel® Optane™ SSDs for the data center let users do more work with the same servers, improving TCO or expanding capabilities. And because the drive is extremely responsive under any load, it is highly predictable and delivers ultra-fast service, consistently."Intel Optane.JPG

In London at Discover this past December, we had a technology preview of HPE 3PAR and Optane that we called 3D Cache. I'm pretty confident to say that it was the first time any vendor showed Optane working in an array. We had an Optane drive that Intel had shipped to us to show customers but found out later that it was still under NDA and we couldn't publish pictures of it.  Today, I can show you a picture. 

Richard Arnold, one of our attending bloggers, has a blog post and video he did talking to our 3PAR product management team. Richard's video is a great look at Optane and 3PAR. Here it is.

There's also a post that 3PAR Product Manager Aravindan Gopalakrishnan wrote titled, HPE 3PAR 3D Cache: Turbocharged Application Acceleration Is Here. The post has lots of graphs showing the benefits we expect to see with 3PAR and Intel Optane, so check it out.

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a six-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 8 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Join us online to talk directly with our HPE experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Days. P...
Read more
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more