Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Storage at Discover Las Vegas 2018

HPEStorageGuy

A week from today, I'll be in Las Vegas for one of my three favorite work weeks of the year - HPE Discover in Las Vegas. I'll HPE Storage at Discover 2018_400x267.jpgtell you what my other two favorite weeks are later on.  In this post, I want to help attendees coming to Discover with my suggestions for the top storage events to attend and for those of you not coming, how to get the latest from Las Vegas. Let's jump in!

Watching Discover

I know many of you won't be able to join us, so I wanted to give you links to our streaming video channels and other ways to stay on top of all the goings on at Discover.  As soon as the video streams go live, I'll add the video players to my blog post.  

You can always stay on top of everything Discover on the event website at hpe.com/Discover

We always have sessions for our guest bloggers attending Discover - this time is no acception. Jeff Powers at Geekazine will be live streaming the coffee talks with our bloggers that start Tuesday morning and vBrownBag will live stream sessions presented by many of our bloggers on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon. I'll post another blog with the schedule and those video players for you to watch when they go live next week. 

Get your HPE Storage eAgenda

If you're coming, be sure to download the HPE Storage eAgenda. It's a short 3 pages but packed with all things storage at Discover, including our spotlight session, week at a glance, the not-to-be-missed party on Tuesday night, all of our demos and more.  You'll also need to download the Discover app so you can see your personal agenda and use it in the Transformation Zone. If you have an old Discover app on your phone, delete it and search for "HPE Discover 2018" in the iPhone or Google app store. 

Spotlight on Storage 

Milan Shetti SL4923.jpgDiscover will be a great opportunity to hear from our new SVP and GM of HPE Storage, Milan Shetti. His spotlight session will be Wednesday 20 June, 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. The title of Milan's session is "What’s possible when you embed AI in your storage? The predictive all-flash advantage".  It's session SL4923 in the Discover Content Catalog. Be sure to attend - and if you see me sitting in the front, stop by and say hello! 

Let's connect! 

My friends at Connect, the HPE users group, always invite me to present in their booth at a Discussion Forum. Discussion Forums (DF) are defined in the catalog as 30 minutes - but this will probably be closer to an hour. The DF will be kicked off by Trevor Jackson, Sr. Director of Information Technology at SOCAN. Trevor is a great speaker and I'm looking forward to what he'll talk about - he's an HPE 3PAR customer. I'll follow Trevor and give an update on HPE Storage. 

Our session is Tuesday 19 June from 10 - 11 AM. You can find the session as DF4954 in the content catalog. Definitely stop by and see me! 

So many sessions, so little time

I'll share with you all the sessions that include storage. I'll give them to you in a bulleted list. 

Tuesday June 19

• B5013: Big data from edge to core to cloud: Storage solutions to accelerate data insight. Speakers: Patrick Osborne | HPE Storage and Phillip Radley | British Telecom. Time: 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
  • DF4954: Connect Tech Forum: The journey to the all-flash data center. Speakers: Trevor Jackson | SOCAN and Calvin Zito | HPE Storage. Time: 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM.
  • B5017: Artificial intelligence for an autonomous data center. Speakers: David Wang | HPE Storage and Joe Ben Slivka | Motorola Solutions. Time: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM.  If I don't see you at my session, I'm sure it will be because you're at this session that will focus on HPE InfoSight. 
  • DF5153: Connect Tech Forum: Edge-to-core infrastructure for the big data pipeline. Speaker: Steve Tramack | HPE Storage. Time: 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM.
  • B5016: Cloud Ready Storage: Helping you strike the right balance in Hybrid IT.  Speakers: Douglas Ko | HPE Storage, Eugene DePrez | Fox Group,  Guy Farber | Amazon Web Services. Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.
  • T5012: Drive accelerated workload performance through Storage Modernization. Speaker: Nilesh Savkoor | HPE Pointnext. Time: 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM.

Wednesday June 20

• PNL5024: Customer panel: HPE customers share their experience with predictive analytics, all-flash and  hyperconverged solutions. Moderator: Kate O’Neill | HPE Storage, Patrick Davis | Field Museum of
    Natural History, Stefan Floyhar | Ferrara Candy Co., Mark Frenette | Nuance Communications, and Lee Sutta | US Fish and Wildlife Services. Time: 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM.
  • DF5025: What is SCM / NVMe? The fundamentals on what it is and how it will shape the future of storage. Speaker: Stephen Daniel | HPE Storage. Time: 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM.
  • B5008: Moving at the speed of memory with Microsoft SQL Server. Speakers: Vish Mulchand | HPE Storage, Bill Dunmire | HPE Servers, Brett Gibbs | HPE Servers, and Bob Ward | Microsoft. Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.
  • B5014: HPE Nimble Storage: The chameleon that’s here, there and everywhere. Speakers: Ashish Prakash | HPE Storage and Stefan Floyhar | Ferrara Candy Co. Time: 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM. 
  • T5010: AI and predictive flash: Customer showcase. Beth Joseph | HPE Storage, Joe Ben Slivka | Motorola Solutions, Lee Sutta | US Fish and Wildlife Services, Stefan Floyhar | Ferrara Candy Co. Time: 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM.
  • B5015: Be ready for anything with HPE 3PAR Storage. Speakers: Vish Mulchand | HPE Storage , Gary StewartTime: 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM. 

Thursday 21 June

• B5019: Persistent storage and containers: Hear from HPE customers. Speakers: Jeff Martin | HPE Storage, Srikanth Venkataseshu | HPE Storage, and Jeff Bridges | United Supermarkets. Time: 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM. 
  • B5020: On-premises, off-premises and hybrid cloud protection for your all-flash arrays., Speaker: Andrew Dickerson | HPE Storage. Time: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. 

Party on!

Back by popular demand, and thanks to generous partner sponsorship is the Customer VIP Reception, Tuesday, June 19 from 9 PM - 12 AM at Intrigue at the Winn. Bring your dancing shoes - this is THE best party at Discover, bar none! We are co-hosting with partners Veeam, Qumulo, and AMD.  VIP access wristbands can be picked up at sessions SL5212 (the Hybrid IT Spotlight session at Discover) and SL5108 (the Hybrid Cloud Spotlight session). NOTE: You MUST have your HPE Discover badge to join the VIP Reception.

Transformation Zone demos

I think one of the highlights of attending Discover is the chance to talk to our experts in the Transformation Zone.  There are lots of storage demos and most of them are all grouped together in the Hybrid IT area.  I won't mention them all here but you can see them in the eAgenda.

The Discover app has maps of the Transformation Zone and also give you access to self-guided tours you can take.  You can see the self-guided tours in the content catalog. You should also check out the Tech Walks in the Discover Content Catalog. TW5237 is the storage focused Tech Walk - where you can learn about Predictive and Cloud Ready Storage

Get your hands on our storage

Discover Las Vegas has hands-on-labs. I wish they did these at Discover in Europe too but they don't. This is your chance to use our products in a safe lab environment. Labs range from basic to advanced. You can work on 3PAR VVols, Nimble Storage VMware integration, 3PAR basics, Nimble Storage setup & admin, MSA, Recovery Manager Central and more. It's highly recommended that you register in advance for a time slot as the HOLs are very popular and seating is limited. To sign up for a two hour storage HOL, use this link to access HOL5209 in the catalog. 

I began the post telling you this was one of my three favorite weeks at work. What are the other two? Discover in Europe that will again be in Madrid in late November and VMworld in the U.S.

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito and 2018 marks 35 years with HP/HPE. I've worked in HPE Storage since 1990. I am an eight-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
June 19 - 21
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2018 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada, June 19 - 21, 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates
See posts for locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more