Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE StoreVirtual 3200 Gets Scale-Out

HPEStorageGuy

Back in August, I had a post announcing new entry storage - the MSA 2042 and the StoreVirtual 3200.  Today we are
SV 3200_Fotor.jpgannouncing enhancements to the 3200 that I want to tell you about. I have a lot to talk about. I tried to squeeze everything into my latest ChalkTalk but there's a bit more I want to share after you watch the ChalkTalk. Here are the highlights of the enhancements:

• Multi-dimensional scaling: scale-up, new scale-out, and scale-across
  • StoreVirtual 3000 File Controller for file based access
  • 10BaseT iSCSI host connection that can dramatically lower cost

Here's the ChalkTalk:

Get Your ARM Around This

When we first announced the StoreVirtual 3200, I didn't talk about that it was based on a 64-bit multi-core ARM processor.  I'm not aware of any other storage array that is using ARM processors today.  When you're deploying VMs and running StoreVirtual VSA on a ProLiant (or any other) server, you want the power of an Intel processor. With the StoreVirtual 3200, it makes a lot of sense to use controllers with ARM processors because without VMs running on the same controllers, there's no point in burning all that cost and power. So you get the right computing power and lower power/cooling costs benefits of the ARM processor. 

The starting U.S. street price for the StoreVirtual 3200 is about $6000. 

Scale-Up, Scale-Out, Scale-Across

Depending on your requirements, you have lots of ways to scale with the 3200.  It has had the ability to scale-up from the beginning. This means you start with a dual controller array and continue to add capacity.  In additional to the array enclosure, the 3200 supports up to three additional disk enclosures for a maximum of 100 Small Form Factor (SFF) or 48 Large Form Factor (LFF) Drives.  

With scale-out, you can create a single SAN from two 3200 systems.  Not only can you scale the capacity, but you can increase performance because you're getting the power of four controllers to process IOs. Today we limit scale-out to two StoreVirtual 3200 systems - we'll see if that changes in the future.

There's also an availability benefit with scale-out and Network RAID 10 (NR10).  I show this in the ChalkTalk but there's another video that explains the concept of Network RAID that I recommend you watch.  Using NR10 stripes and mirrors your data across the two 3200 systems so even if you lose access to one of the 3200 arrays you still have 100% access to your data.  And this isn't the same as replication to a second array because there isn't a primary or secondary volume. It's easy and it works!

And lastly, there's scale-across. With StoreVirtual Peer Motion, you federate multiple clusters to easily migrate workloads to other StoreVirtual 3200 systems automatically and without downtime. These three scaling options - scale-up, scale-out, and scale-across - give you flexibility to tailor performance and resiliency to your business needs including multi-site stretch cluster to protect from a system or site outage. 

New File Controller Option

The ChalkTalk briefly mentions the new StoreVirtual 3000 File Controller.  It expands the capabilities of the StoreVirtual 3200 to serve both block (unstructured) and file (structured) data from the same capacity pool.  The StoreVirtual 3000 File Controller is based on Windows Storage Server 2016 and includes advanced data services like sub-file deduplication and compressing to save capacity. it can support up to 2000 concurrent connections. The StoreVirtual 3000 File Controller has a U.S. street price starting at about $3000. 

You can learn more at hpe.com/storage/StoreVirtual3200

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I am a six-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 8 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

• chalktalk
  • entry storage
  • StoreVirtual
0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE for 32 years, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more