Around the Storage Block
1753973 Members
7759 Online
108811 Solutions
New Article
CalvinZito

Introducing the big data and analytics guy!

In this article, I'm going to share the two Chalk Talks I did looking at the HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 Server and its use cases. There's also a podcast diving deeper into BlueData and what it means for HPE. 

At Discover a couple of months ago, we announced the HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10. I spent a couple of weeks traveling big data and analytics apollo 4200 BlueData.jpgbefore Discover and didn't get the Chalk Talk finished for the announcement. While the title of this article might have you thinking I'm becoming the Big Data and Analytics guy, I'm not but working on these certainly expanded my knowledge in the area that was always a bit "fuzzy" to me. 

In this article, I'm going to share the two Chalk Talks I did. I did one that is an overview of the HPE Apollo 4200 system and then did a second one looking at typical use cases. And make sure you read on until the end as I'll also share a podcast I did with Patrick Osborne, our VP and GM of our Big Data and Analytics business talking about BlueData. So lots to cover, let's jump in!

Deeper look at the Apollo 4200 Gen10 Server

We've had a couple of blog posts looking at the Apollo 4200 Gen10 Server. Apollo 4200 Gen10 Server: An all-rounder to handle your storage-intensive workloads included a video I did at Discover where I got a walkthrough tour of the new server. Be sure to check it out. Here's the overview Chalk Talk I have. 

Use cases with the Apollo 4200 Gen10

I originally tried to have one Chalk Talk to cover everything. It became clear that it was too much information and it seemed obvious to do one that looked at the server and another that looked at the use cases. There are four use cases I talk about in the video:

Here's the use case Chalk Talk. 

Blue, blue, blue, BlueData!

I really don't like listening to Christmas music other than the day or two before Christmas but couldn't help myself with the subheading. Hope the song with my new lyrics is now stuck in your head like it is mine!

The acquistion of BlueData definitely took me by surprise. It was announced at Discover and I didn't know about it until I saw it an email after the news went out. I didn't originally connect the dots on what it was or where it fit. 

When I asked what was special about it I was told to think of BlueData doing for Big Data and Analytics infrastructure what VMware did for servers. If you're more of a reader than a listener, Patrick Osborne has a blog post talking about BlueData but I think the podcast I did with him really diving into the topic is great too and worth a listen. 

Here's ATSB Podcast #253 with Patrick talking about BlueData. Note a new window will pop-up to play the podcast on TalkShoe.com. 

To subscribe to the podcast, open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture. If you don't use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com, Google Play Music. and just added to Spotify Podcast, and Stitcher On Google, you'll get "invited" to try Google Play Music for 30 days - just click "no thanks" to get past this and get to the podcast.

I wanted to hear from you!

The goal I have top of mind on my videos and blog posts is to take the complex and break it down into something that is easier to understand. I do the best I can to remove any "marketing-speak" but sometimes that can't be extracted without impacting the message. What do you think? What questions do you have about about the new Apollo 4200, the use cases talked about, or BlueData. Leave a comment or question below and tell me what you think!

For more information

We use labels as a way to get to all of the ATSB blog posts on a topic. Here are a few links to labels related to this post where can get more:

0 Kudos
About the Author

CalvinZito

I have worked at HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I'm expanding into other areas of focus at HPE like HPE GreenLake, compute, containers, AI, and more. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage. Find my podcast at https://www.hpe.com/dmn/ATITB