Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEADERx2. How HP 3PAR StoreServ caught lightning in a bottle.

StorageExperts

MM.jpgBy Matt Morrissey, 3PAR Product Marketing Manager

Pop quiz time. Who’s the best footballer (or soccer player, as we say here in the U.S.) in the world? The general consensus seems to be Cristiano Ronaldo who recently edged out Lionel Messi. But how can you go wrong with either pick? Both our tremendous athletes. Now picture either one of them winning Wimbledon. Or wearing the yellow jersey at the Tour de France? Silly, right? The point I’m trying to make is that it’s extremely rare to be great at two things—and when you are, it’s like catching lightening in a bottle.

A few years ago, American athlete Bo Jackson experienced the extremely rare. He’s the only athlete to be named an All-Star in two major American sports (the “other” football and baseball). For me, Bo (yes I’m on a first name basis with him) was a real-life superhero, streaking across outfield walls and through stadium tunnels. He had it all. Strength, speed, agility and stamina. If you were lucky enough to see him play, you know this isn’t hyperbole. As great as those Nike commercials were, he was so much more than that. Want proof? Check out this quick highlight reel.    

HP Storage captures lightning in a bottle

Well, just like Bo was that rare two-sport all-star, so too is HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage. This week, Gartner published a new Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Storage Arrays (think high-end, midrange, unified storage).

Gartner_DiskArray_MQ.JPG

I’m happy to report that, once again, Gartner positioned HP in the Leaders’ quadrant based on Gartner’s analysis of HP 3PAR StoreServ, HP XP7 and HP StoreVirtual. But what I’m really excited about is that I believe this builds on the result from Gartner’s recent Magic Quadrant for Solid State Arrays, where HP 3PAR StoreServ is also in the Leaders’ quadrant. Here you can compare the two.

Gartner_SState_MQ.JPG 

The power of a single architecture

Other vendors are included in the leader’s quadrant in both reports too. But different products were considered for each MQ.

Gartner Critical Capabilities for General Purpose Storage: Now 3PAR StoreServ tops Bo!

As great of an athlete as Bo was, one thing he never accomplished was playing multiple positions in the same sport. For example, he never pitched in a baseball game or threw passes in football. (Imagine Messi or Ronaldo playing forward and goalie.) The same can’t be said for 3PAR StoreServ. Remember how I said General Purpose Storage consists of high-end, midrange and unified storage? Well, this week Gartner also published two new Critical Capabilities for General Purpose Storage: one for the high-end and one for the midrange. These two reports assess storage systems and rate them based on critical capabilities for primary storage. HP 3PAR StoreServ scored highest in all six Use Cases in the midrange report and finished top three in the Overall Use Case of the high-end report (shout out to HP XP7 for #2). No other storage architecture can make a similar claim.

Yes, lightning in a bottle!

So there you have it: HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage shows up in the Leaders’ quadrant of both MQs. That’s lightning_ATSB_iStock_000022224733_26Oct.jpghuge—and I believe it’s confirmation that with 3PAR StoreServ you get it all:  

• The agility to respond 8x faster to unpredictable workload demands
  • The density to accommodate 10x the performance in 90% less space
  • The efficiency to cut capacity requirements by 75%
  • The investment protection to be ready for what’s next

How we’re eliminating storage boundaries

What makes 3PAR StoreServ so unique is that it has a differentiated architecture that can address virtually any workload or fix any IT dilemma. For example, if your IT department is resource constrained or you find yourself managing silos of legacy storage, 3PAR StoreServ eliminates time-consuming tasks with its autonomic architecture.

For those looking for more speed, HP 3PAR StoreServ accelerates application performance with consistently low latency while replacing racks and racks of legacy storage. For those under CapEx pressure, it is the most efficient storage platform on the planet.

The other big reason to consider HP 3PAR StoreServ is that it has eliminated traditional tradeoffs between midrange (Highest Overall Use Case Score in Critical Capabilities) and high-end (Third Highest Overall Use Case Score in Critical Capabilities), block versus file, and hybrid versus all-flash storage. With all-flash systems as low as $19K and models that scale to as much as 15PB usable, it’s the platform to beat. The fact that HP 3PAR StoreServ shows up as a leader in both the General Purpose and Solid State MQs I believe is a testament to that.

So what are you waiting for? Check out HP 3PAR StoreServ for your enterprise storage needs. Back to Bo and those Nike commercials: Just do it.

Source:

Bo Jackson images: www.foxsports.com

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more