Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Version of LeftHand OS for HP StoreVirtual Now Available

HPEStorageGuy

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

By Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy  

vExpert 5 years.png

LeftHand O/S is the name of the software OS for HP StoreVirtual. This past week, we released LeftHand OS 12.0. Here's a list of the new features:

• Space Reclamation - StoreVirtual Storage can now reclaim space in VMware vSphere and Microsoft Windows environments using T10 UNMAP.
  • HP StoreVirtual Multipathing Extension Module (MEM) for VMware vSphere - Reduce latency and improve performance in VMware vSphere environments. The MEM also optimizes data-path traffic in multi-site (or stretch-cluster) configurations.
  • New REST API - Provision storage, create and modify storage pools using the all new web services based API for HP StoreVirtual.
  • Faster remote copy performance and system reboot times.

Here's a link to our HP Software Depot hp.com page where you can get more details about what's new, the release notes, and download it. 

There are also a couple of really good blog posts from a couple of blogger friends of mine that I'll point you to:

• Craig Kilborn has a how to post that talks about upgrading to v 12.0 and how to enable T10 UNMAP with VMware. 
  • Bart Heungens has a post that briefly reviews what's new and then has lots of details on doing the upgrade.

Finally, we've had a few posts talking about the free 1TB VSA you can get with any new Intel-based server.  You can click here to take advantage of the free 1TB VSA or learn more.

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Comments

Can you also post a link to the StoreVirtual MEM Offline Bundle that can be used with VUM?

The StoreVirtual Mutlipathing User Guide states:

"Download the StoreVirtual MEM for VMware VIB from the HP vibsdepot."

But i can't find it there, thanks.

I'm testing VSA 1T on a mixture of Gen 7 and 8 servers. It works fine - although I cannot test mulitiering due to licence limitation. Is there a way to test SSD acceleration without purchasing the 10T licence - at least 60 days trial?

HPEStorageGuy

@Radec - you can the 10TB 60 day trial at www.hp.com/go/TryVSA.  If you have the 4TB license, I'm pretty sure it will work with SSD but you can only have one tier of storage (can't mix SSD and HDD). 

@thaecker - I don't know where the link is but am asking my field architects if anyone knows.  I'll come back as soon as I have an answer.

Hi,

Will it be possible to use "HP StoreVirtual Multipathing Extension Module (MEM)" (So install the vib on our vSphere 5.1 ESXi servers) but have a Lefthand os of < 12 ?

HPEStorageGuy

You can install the vib but it won't work unless your LeftHand OS is 12.0 or greater.  The changes for MEM to work are in 12.0 and thus the reason we announced support for it with the latest LHOS.

One of the issues we've faced with Lefthand storage is not being able to shrink a thinly-provisioned lun back down so that the space can be reused. We'd have an out of control Windows-based backup server expand a thin lun too much and be unable to get that space back after addressing the issue. The only way to handle this was to move the data out and recreate the lun at a smaller size, them move the data back in.

Is this epitome of what the Space Reclaimation feature accomplishes?

HPEStorageGuy

Hi Jason - yes, that is what Space Reclaimation is. It relies on a SCSI command called UNMAP and is reliant on the OS to accomplish the task. My colleague and fellow VMware vExpert Eric Siebert has an article on his blog that explains more about UNMAP that's worth a read. Note his article is specific to VMware but the general discussion of UNMAP applies to any OS that supports it. 

One last note - the LeftHand OS v 12 release notes say that it is supported with Thin or Thick volumes on Microsoft Server 2012 or later and VMware vSphere 5 or later.