Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-the-beaten path: Interesting software-defined use cases

katedavis

By Kate Davis, WW Marketing Manager, HP Software-Defined Storage   @KateAtHP

As more and more companies deploy software-defined storage, I love hearing about the different opportunities customers are taking advantage of with StoreVirtual VSA and virtualized servers. So today I’m going to share a couple use cases with you.

When a problem becomes an opportunity

The first is a classic use case but not one that most people would think of – offshore oil rigs.

It’s a story of limitations, with the environment that is. These platforms, while quite large, have little room for IT infrastructure, have limited staff and resources and are in the middle of the ocean, miles away from land.

Nonetheless, they are a fully functioning businesses generating data around the clock that must be available and protected.

Constrained space: When space for IT components is at a premium, creative planning needs to be done. This is a perfect place to consider a converged deployment of virtualized servers with data services layered on top instead of a dedicated storage array. By optimizing utilization of the servers, a smaller footprint and less networking are required.

Limited staff and resources: Typically there’s an IT staff of one and that’s probably not his day job. Consolidating everything down to the server level means minimal management tools and components are required to learn and maintain. And when it comes to keeping spare parts on hand, less is more.

Prepping for Mother Nature: The seas aren’t always calm and for that purpose, all data generated by the rig needs to be protected. The use of Remote Copies allows for data to be sent back to land, either automatically or manually so that not only can a copy live in a second location. Depending on how close it is, the copy could be spun up and used as the primary array if needed.

From the flight deck

This next customer saw an opportunity to cut training costs through the reduction of travel time and pilot expenses.

It’s necessary to keep a pilot’s skills up to date, so regular remedial training is required. Up until now, this global company’s standard practice was to have pilots travel to headquarters to complete the flight simulator training. At the main training facilities, the VDI system runs off a StoreVirtual hardware array.

Because the StoreVirtual VSA is based on the same LeftHand OS as the hardware array, the opportunity arose to look at flexible options. The company started testing different configs and found that in combination with the main hardware array, a remote simulator could be constructed by running VSA on a laptop or PC and using multiple monitor screens.

Now the company saves money as the pilots only have to take time off for the actual training time required.

Until next time...

Now that I’ve shared a couple of stories with you, it’s your turn. Leave a comment and share with us how you’re using software-defined storage.

If you aren’t yet, but are intrigued…go get the VSA software and try it for yourself: hp.com/go/UnlockVSA

And lastly, for partners…if you’re at VMware Partner Exchange this week in San Francisco, come stop by the HP booth in the Solutions Exchange and say Hi to Calvin and me.

About the Author

katedavis

I have been working across the HPE portfolio for over 12 years marketing hot topics including storage, software-defined, big data and hybrid cloud.

Comments

IT's not uncommon in my opinion. If you think about how much people can access almost everything in just a few minutes you would be more careful how you change your personal data and how you protect it. I would say that extreme carefulness is in order. Even LAP Man and http://eznetworksolutions.com/ said that.

Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more