Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack your bags, take your pick: Best of cloud storage at HPE Discover and AWS re:Invent

StorageExperts

HPE Discover_AWS re invent_intelligent storage_blog.jpgTwo great conferences in two great cities are on the horizon: HPE Discover in Madrid and AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas.

Join us (or follow along virtually) as we talk at both events about the innovation driving intelligent storage for hybrid cloud.

Sometimes (many times) I wish I could be at more than one place at one time. This year, after Thanksgiving turkey here in the U.S., we have two great events going at the same time: Amazon Web Services (AWS) re:IMore storage event choice.jpgnvent annual cloud conference in Las Vegas and our very own HPE Discover in Madrid, Spain.  Both events run November 26-30. Instead of drawing straws, I asked my team, do you prefer prime rib or jamon iberico? I like both!

Being a cloud guy at heart, there’s going to be wealth of new shiny cloudy things coming out of re:Invent. But without stealing my own thunder, we have some great things coming up at HPE Discover as well around how HPE is innovating around intelligent storage that’s built for today’s hybrid cloud reality.

Framing the built-for-cloud storage experience

At HPE believe, we believe a few fundamental things are required to deliver a true built-for-cloud storage experience:

1. Run any workload, anywhere—We really mean it, from production Oracle and SAP, to secondary test/dev, to backup and DR, and even next gen cloud-native and hybrid cloud apps. You should be able to run any workload you want on-premises, on AWS or Azure, or at the edge. The right data at the right place and the right time is what is going to give you a competitive edge to get most of your data.
  2. Easy data mobility—Easy means directly from your storage array without the need for extra software or hardware. Sure you can use a cloud gateway, migration appliance, or migration software, but these things add costs and complexities, often are loosely integrated, have poor data efficiencies that drive up data transfer costs, and often only provide a one-way street in terms of moving your data.
  3. Cloud done right—Right means the right cloud strategy including people, skills, and tools to get you there. Jumping all-in usually doesn’t work so getting yourself the right advisor who has helped others like you with their cloud journey will go a long way. Then having the right tools integrated with your storage and the skills to use them including containers, Kubernetes, cost management, and automation tools will make your cloud journey a lot smoother.

Madrid_Las Vegas_events_intelligent storage.jpgHopefully that gives you an idea what to look for in your on-premises storage and cloud storage services. For those who want to learn more, come see us at HPE Discover if you’re in Europe. (Tip: Before you head to Discover, check out the blog from my colleague Calvin Zito: If you are coming to HPE Discover Madrid, this is must reading!)

For those of you going to AWS re:Invent, here are some things you can expect to see and hear from HPE:

AWS re:Invent Las Vegas: HPE Storage at the Venetian Content Hub (Level 3, Lido room 3004)

This is a dedicated space outside the session breakout rooms that AWS is providing for extra overflow seating. We’re going to be showing demos and presentations throughout Monday, November 26th thru Friday November 30th while the breakouts are ongoing:

• HPE Cloud Volumes—Our enterprise multi-cloud storage service for both AWS and Azure. We’ll be showcasing hybrid cloud mobility and the ability to do bidirectional replication with failover/failback between on-premises and cloud for traditional databases as well using cloud volumes with cloud-native apps.
  • HPE Cloud Bank Storage—Our solution for cloud backup, disaster recovery, and archiving to S3 compatible cloud storage. It works with your existing storage and backup infrastructure and can help reduce cloud storage costs by up 20x.
  • Container Solutions—We’ve got some really cool stuff cooking here that you’ll hear more about it once we make our announcements at Discover. End of the day, we want to bring the value of containers (portability, consistency, app integration, DevOps automation, etc.) whether you are on-premises or in the cloud to support cloud-native or hybrid cloud app development.
  • HPE OneSphere—This is our hybrid cloud management SaaS solution. See, manage, and automate your hybrid cloud operations allowing you to put in controls to rein in costs, and easily enable environments for DevOps and developers.

AWS re:Invent Las Vegas: HPE Cloud Technology Partners (CTP) at Sands Expo Hall Booth #632

Our CTP team have been helping customers for many years with their cloud strategy and journey. The team’s advisory and implementation services can help you move to, innovate in, and run your cloud. Cloud done right, as I mentioned above.

I've made my choice: this year, I'm heading to HPE Discover in Spain

For me, until I figure out how to clone myself, I can only choose jamon iberico. So I’ll be packing my bags and hope to see many of you at Discover in Madrid. For those of you who may be heading to re:Invent, please drop by and say “hi” to my HPE storage and cloud colleagues in Las Vegas (and enjoy the prime rib!).

Doug Ko_HPE Storage.jpgMeet Around the Storage Block blogger Doug Ko, HPE Storage. Doug is responsible for cloud strategy and go-to-market at HPE. His expertise is in data storage and cloud computing and he is interested in the role of cloud in enabling digital transformation in enterprises and service providers.

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Events
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more
Read for dates
HPE Webinars - 2019
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more