Around the Storage Block
1745883 Members
4263 Online
108723 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
CalvinZito

Re: Podcast: Diving in to HPE Cloud Volumes

Today I have a podcast diving into the details of HPE Cloud Volumes. HPE Cloud Volumes is an enterprise-grade public cloud block storage solution. In the podcast we talk about why, how and when to use HPE Cloud Volumes.  

ATSB Podcast #242: What is HPE Cloud VolumesATSB Podcast #242: What is HPE Cloud VolumesI've been doing a series of podcasts focusing on the pillars of our point of view. I had done a ChalkTalk and blog post back in January giving an overview of that POV.  Since then I've done a number of podcasts:

1. Focusing on Predictive: HPE InfoSight podcast.
  2. What you need to know about Cloud Ready
  3. Podcast: What is Cloud Ready Data Protection.

One of the missing pieces missing to help complete this Cloud Ready story was diving into HPE Cloud Volumes. And that is what I have in today's podcast.  

Doug Ko.pngMy guest is Doug Ko. Doug is responsible for cloud strategy and go-to-market. His expertise is in data storage and cloud computing and he is interested in the role of cloud in enabling digital transformation in enterprises and service providers. He had a recent post on ATSB talking about using InfoSight to predict the cost of cloud storage.

I think this podcast is a great job laying it out for you to understand it.  I'm not going to give you a minute by minute guide to this one - it follows what you'd expect in something like this: challenges it solves, what it is, the benefits, and customer use cases. 

To listen to the podcast now, click on this link and it will open in a new window on TalkShoe.com. Click here to download the MP3 file

To subscribe to the podcast, open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture. If you don't use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com and it has just been added to Google Play Music as well On Google, you'll get "invited" to try Google Play Music for 30 days - just click "no thanks" to get past this and get to the podcast.

You can learn more about HPE Cloud Volumes at hpe.com/storage/CloudVolumes. You can see all the related HPE Cloud Volumes ATSB posts by clicking on the link. 

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito and 2018 marks 35 years with HP/HPE. I've worked in HPE Storage since 1990. I am an eight-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

0 Kudos
About the Author

CalvinZito

I have worked at HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I'm expanding into other areas of focus at HPE like HPE GreenLake, compute, containers, AI, and more. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage. Find my podcast at https://www.hpe.com/dmn/ATITB

Comments

Hello,

Thanks Mr Doug & Calvin for this Short and Sweet explanation about HPE cloud volumes.

Within 19.44mins, You Covered a lot. Great work.

1) Enterprise Grade applications

2) Availability

3) Uptime

4) Locking

5) Data gravity (Good term I will use in future) and Egress charge

6) Data mobility

7) DR replication

8) DB clustering

9) Fast Snap/Clone

10) Azure dashboard vs Info sight Predictive billing

11) Automation through API.

12) HPE Cloud Volumes Sizing Tool - (Only today I came to know this) Good work.

Beautiful.

Few more things I wish to listen. ( with 2 more extra mins )

A. Response time for each Enterprise Grade applications through cloud volume (Risk &Constraints)

B. How the data have been protected on HPE cloud side of the volume (howmany invisible copies we have, locally or remotely )

@sathyamani64Thanks for the feedback! I don't have specific latency numbers to share but Doug and I talked about this a bit during the podcast. We are placing our HPE Cloud Volumes datacenters in close proximity to the cloud datacenters of Azure and AWS so that the latency is very low and as Doug said, usually less than using cloud storage from Azure and AWS. I'll point Doug to your comments and see if he has more feedback. 

@sathyamani64.  Let me answer your 2 questions.

A) Latencies are in the single-digit millisecond range, with the fastest we tested to be around 1.5ms.  This is storage to AWS or Azure VM running OS.  Additional application latancies may also apply.

B) Within HPE Cloud Volumes, data is protected with Triple+ Parity RAID protection in the backend.  On the roadmap we plan to add cross-region and avaliablity zone replication.  Customers also have the option today to replicate data back on-premises to their flash arrays.