Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Solving: New Technology and the Move to Data Fabric

katedavis

I was in the airport this week flying home from a conference and had some time to people watch. I found it funny how many signs littered the walls of the concourse promoting Wi-Fi and power outlets for the mobile devices that allow us to pack lighter.

When technology solves your problems, life is good. Except when new problems arise—such as constantly needing power.

Move to Data Fabric BLOG.jpgI’ve seen this with the changes in the data center infrastructure as well. The software-defined data center has provided efficiencies and agility over the traditional setup, not to mention how siloed storage and server stacks have been overcome by convergence. Even so, I see new issues. Initially, the sands of time have shifted from being spent on infrastructure deployment to a simpler time-sink of “what do I buy?” paralysis. And while traditional silos have gone away, new converged silos have been erected.

If technology solves problems, how do we solve this one?
We start by creating a single storage stack that can handle both structured and unstructured workloads and can still be deployed easily and quickly but with the options of bare-metal, virtual or containers—on any platform, in any location. In essence, a single software-based solution that covers the decision points you have to make.

The second problem to solve is silos. This is where moving to a software-defined storage product best benefits the environment. The ability to deploy a single storage stack across different types of hardware—x86 servers, hyperconverged platforms and composable infrastructure—creates a consistent layer of data services, or data fabric, which allows you to have centralized management as well as data mobility across stacks.

Recently, analysts at Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG) wrote about this data fabric movement. The paper lends an understanding to the most common issues IT professionals deal with and how data fabric can help address them. In the paper, the analysts also share their thoughts on HPE’s vision of the next-generation of software-defined storage for providing the much needed single stack architecture.

If you prefer the “Cliffs Notes®” version, check out the video summery on how data fabric could drive major storage industry change.

Or read the complete ESG white paper: HPE Composable Data Fabric Could Address—or Drive—Major Storage-industry Changes

0 Kudos
About the Author

katedavis

I have been working across the HPE portfolio for over 12 years marketing hot topics including storage, software-defined, big data and hybrid cloud.