Around the Storage Block
1748169 Members
4178 Online
108758 Solutions
New Article
CalvinZito

Recovering from a cyberattack thanks to rapid data recovery

Did you know October is Cybersecurity Awareness month? I didn't either until I got a greeting card to celebrate. OK, maybe not. Given the occasion, I wanted to share a podcast from Dana Gardner Principal Analyst at Interarbor Solution.  

Veeam and HPE Storage update podcast.jpgIn this BriefingsDirect podcast, Dana has a case study discussion that explores how Norway’s venerable meat processing business, Fatland, relied on rapid backup and recovery solutions to successfully defend against a nasty ransomware attack.

Joining Dana on the podcast are: 

• Terje Wester, the CEO at Fatland 
  • Patrick Osborne, VP of Data Protection and Big Data and Analytics at HPE Storage

Here's a link to listen to the podcast. It's also on YouTube. Dana gives you every option for his podcast. He also has a transcript that you can read

Summary of the podcast

Fatland was hit by the .NM4 crypto virus. They were hit by the virus on a Friday night. The result was their servers were shutdown and they had no product on Saturday. They contacted HPE consultants who were onsite Sunday and by early Monday morning, they had recovered all their data.  

The solution that allowed them to recover was Recovery Manager Central and StoreOnce. Using these solutions, Fatland had application or data-specific point-in-time copies of the data that were sent via orchestration to a secondary system that was protected from the crypto virus. The system was designed to be able to restore quickly and help meet Recovery Time Objectives. 

Terje and Patrick, guided by Dana, do a great job in the podcast, so check it out!

For more information

We have a lot of content offerings on ATSB to help you dive deeper. Here are just a few:

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito and 2018 marks 35 years with HP/HPE. I've worked in HPE Storage since 1990. I am an eight-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

0 Kudos
About the Author

CalvinZito

I have worked at HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I'm expanding into other areas of focus at HPE like HPE GreenLake, compute, containers, AI, and more. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage. Find my podcast at https://www.hpe.com/dmn/ATITB