Around the Storage Block
StorageExperts

The New HPE Alletra: Incredible performance for your mission critical workloads

One of the most exciting things to do in the tech industry is to be a part of a new product launch. Last week, HPE Storage announced the all new HPE Alletra 9000, and all I can say is wow!  As you all know, I am the solution product manager that focuses on Oracle and SAP HANA in the HPE Storage division. The second I heard about the architecture of this product, I knew I was going to be busy ensuring that it was ready for mission critical workloads – and let me say, the HPE Alletra 9000 does not disappoint!

shutterstock_120037627-blog.pngGood news! SAP HANA Enterprise Storage TDI Certified

Let’s cover SAP HANA first. I want to share the good news that HPE Alletra 9000 is already SAP HANA Enterprise Storage TDI Certified, and ready to deploy your SAP HANA on. The great thing about the SAP HANA TDI Certification process is that you have to test your equipment with their HCMT tool. The reason I love testing with the SAP tool is that it ensures everyone in the storage industry uses the same tool to gauge performance. In this test we are able to run 96 SAP HANA production nodes in a 4U space, boasting a 24 SAP HANA production node count per rack unit. This production node count per rack unit far outperforms other offerings in the market.[1]

shutterstock_1104131750_blog.pngA star in Oracle mixed workload environments

Now let’s discuss Oracle. One of the toughest things for a storage box to do is for it to be super-fast and resilient for online transactional processing (OLTP), plus have massive bandwidth for large block data transfers. The new HPE Alletra 9000 absolutely shines in this real-life mixed workload environment that an Oracle workload can drive. 

We ran an above average OLTP test – and confirmed that the HPE Alletra 9000 is 105% faster in OLTP (IOPS) than the previous generation of 3PAR that it will be replacing. That is right – I said 105%!!! Also, in a large block transfer like an Oracle data warehouse, the HPE Alletra 9000 has a 155% lower response time. When you combine the ability to have high IOPS and low response time on large block writes, you can consolidate your workloads onto one 4U box! This means huge capex savings for your IT department!

How do we achieve these incredible performance numbers for your mission critical workloads?  Take a look at these details.

• All-active architecture. HPE Alletra 9000 features a unique massively parallel, multi-node, and all-active platform. You achieve massive parallelization for SAP HANA and Oracle with all volumes active on all media, controllers, and host ports – at all times. Avoid tuning your storage again with balanced I/O across all physical components for predictable performance and ultra-low latency.
  • Efficient handling of large I/O sizes. Most storage arrays focus on small block IOPS performance, but the I/O size of HANA data volumes is up to 16 MiB, much larger than I/Os for traditional applications. HPE Alletra 9000 can readily handle high IOPS for low-latency environments, but in addition, it also has the bandwidth to tackle large I/Os, as proven by the Oracle testing I discussed above.
  • App-aware resiliency that forecasts issues to prevent disruptions. HPE Alletra 9000 predicts and prevents disruptions across storage, servers, and virtual machines, resulting in savings of over 1.5 million hours of lost productivity due to downtime.  Thousands of disruptions have been prevented, driving higher levels of availability. HPE Alletra is 9000 is backed by a 100% availability guarantee – no questions asked.
  • Mixed-workload technology. HPE Alletra 9000 has purpose-built ASICs that are designed to handle mixed workloads. HPE New Alletra 9000 does not require separate disk pools for HANA log and data volumes. The drives can be shared among the HANA nodes.
  • System-wide striping. HPE Alletra 9000 wide striping is system-wide. It makes sure that data is not just split across traditional RAID groups but is also spread across all the drives behind a controller node, as well as all the drives in a system, to maximize performance and efficiency.
  • Mission-critical availability and storage consolidation. Most enterprise storage certified for SAP HANA is shared storage, consolidating the needs of SAP HANA production, non-production, and other applications. Although this consolidation reduces complexity and increases efficiency, it can introduce the risk of resource contention, exacerbated with dissimilar workloads such as SAP HANA and a traditional database. To ensure that mission-critical SAP HANA gets the resources needed for maximum performance, HPE Alletra 9000 offers Priority Optimization software with Quality of Service (QoS) controls for key attributes such as bandwidth, latency, and IOPS. These capabilities deliver verified QoS levels without having to physically partition resources or maintain discrete storage silos.
  • Built for cloud - Setup with zero touch deployment because systems are automatically discovered, on-boarded, and configured. Manage from anywhere with simple global management driven through a SaaS-based user experience.

HPE-Alletra-9000_mission-critical_blog3.jpg

When it comes to running mission critical applications like SAP HANA and Oracle, the Alletra 9000 is easily up to the task. I think you can see why I’m really excited about the potential of the new HPE Alletra 9000. Want to learn more? Check out these resources – and be sure to log in regularly to Around the Storage Block for updates and new information!

Did you miss last week’s big news from HPE Storage? Learn about the rest of our story.

[1] Certified and Supported SAP HANA® Hardware Directory  

Chris Kinzler 2.jpegMeet Around the Storage Block blogger Chris Kinzler, WW Technical Marketing Solutions Go-To-Market Manager. Chris has worked in the storage industry for more than 15 years, and has been with HPE for two years. He brings to market and manages workload enablement programs.

Storage Experts
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Storage
linkedin.com/showcase/hpestorage/
hpe.com/storage

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.