Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two workload big shots come together: HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage now supports HP Moonshot Server

StorageExperts

picture.jpgBy Rashmi Malik, Product Manager, HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage

Enabling a cutting-edge technology mix

HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage now supports HP Moonshot Servers, using the industry-standard iSCSI protocol for network-based data storage. On the one hand, you have HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage that combines high scalability and performance with rich enterprise storage features to dramatically simplify storage management. On the other hand, you have HP Moonshot, a precision-engineered system designed to truly match the workload it’s running and delivered in a compact, power and energy efficient package. Together, you get more out of your infrastructure—with less complexity and better workload performance.

A few technical details

With HP 3PAR Operating System 3.1.3 MU1, HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage supports HP Moonshot Servers with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 as the Host Operating System over iSCSI. This support is available on HP Moonshot Server Cartridges m3x00 (m300, m350) and m7x00 (m700, m710). Do take a look at the support details of HP Moonshot Servers with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage that’s now available on HP Single Point Of Connectivity Knowledge (SPOCK).

MoonShotJ.jpg

Why this is good news for your IT workloads

HP Moonshot Servers addresses modern IT workloads with a new class of software-defined servers. These workload-optimized servers provide maximum scalability, efficiency, density and simplicity while requiring less power, space, and environmental cooling, and fewer system management resources than traditional servers. With up to one TB of local storage on each cartridge, a 4.3U form factor HP Moonshot chassis can support an aggregate data set of 45 TB, as long as it can be distributed across the 45 cartridges in the chassis.

The low-cost and high-compute power of Moonshot Server Cartridges coupled with high density storage provided by the HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage is well suited as an external storage solution when you need large amounts of storage and reliability for your data. This combination of HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage and HP Moonshot is a well-balanced and scalable iSCSI external storage solution.

For workloads that require a quick response, HP recommends HP 3PAR StoreServ storage arrays (having SSDs) with HP Moonshot Servers.

And what about scenarios where HP Moonshot cartridges access shared data sets while running their workload? More good news: HP Moonshot Servers have now been qualified and supported with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage for network connection external to the HP Moonshot chassis.

3PAR StoreServ and Moonshot use cases

Here are examples of some of use cases that can take advantage of HP Moonshot support with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage:

• Big Data – An HP Moonshot chassis can store and process Hadoop or NoSQL data sets under 45 TB.  With the m710 cartridge, HP Moonshot Servers can support two 10 GBe connections to each cartridge, with full support for iSCSI extensions for RDMA (iSER) acceleration. For larger data sets, HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage can be configured as an external storage target hence providing a low cost, high bandwidth method of shared access.
  • Web Serving – Front-end web servers that cache files and transfer them over the internet based on user requests, often must access large shared data sets on a storage server or SAN.  With HP Moonshot’s iSCSI connectivity and HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, web-serving cartridges can now access data in a low cost/TB storage target in a full-function enterprise SAN array. 

Upgrade now

HP Moonshot Server is now supported with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage starting HP 3PAR Operating System 3.1.3 MU1. If you are running an older version of HP 3PAR Operating System on you existing HP 3PAR StoreServ, you can upgrade to 3.1.3 MU1 to obtain support for HP Moonshot Server.  

Learn more

HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage

HP Moonshot

Technical white paper: External storage solution for HP ProLiant Moonshot Servers via iSCSI

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Comments

Very good article Rashmi! Appreciate!

Ciber Architect

I really need the Whitepaper or answers to actually implement this solution.  I cannot find any resources.  I have analytics customers that need this solution!

HPEStorageGuy

Ciber Architect - I talked with Rashmi who wrote this blog post. Here's what she said:

This configuration is available on SPOCK (Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge). NOTE: I believe this is the specific page that has what you need.

The following is applicable for Moonshot System

1. Software iSCSI is supported on Moonshot System. Please see additional Moonshot System details at https://www.hpe.com/us/en/servers/moonshot.html 
  2.  Supported cartridges are m300, m700, m710, and m710p.
  3. Support starting with RHEL 7.2 and 3.2.2.
  4. BFS support with m710p only.

------

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate the white paper.  Good luck!

StorageExperts

Ciber Archtect - one of my colleagues found the paper on a website called pdfsecret.com. Here's a link to the PDF though I know nothing about this site so proceed with caution.