Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMworld 2017 Recap with Videos and Podcasts

HPEStorageGuy

In this post, I'll summarize VMworld 2017 in Las Vegas. I'll share videos I did as well as point to others that I think are useful in helping you get an overview of what happened.  If you only have a few minutes, I'd suggest coming back to this post when you have more time this post is packed with videos and podcasts.  Some are 10 minutes, others are 20 minutes while others are an hour or longer. Like VMworld, consider this a blog post of choices.  Find what interests you and dive in.  So let's dive in.

VMworld keynotes 

Karine and Calvin.jpgI missed part of the Day 1 keynote - I took my time getting from my hotel to the Mandalay Bay Conference Center and 30 minutes before the keynote, I saw a tweet that said the blogger tables in the VM Village were full.  I decided to go to my hotel room to watch the keynote from there. One of the announcements was around Workspace One with HP (not HPE) and a Desktop as a Service offering. The Day 1 keynotes were interspersed with lots of customer stories with VMware COO Sanjay Poonen. I got to meet one of those customers at our HPE party, Karine Seemer of Medtronic. It was a good keynote!

Here's the day 1 keynote. 

Most notable in the Day 2 keynote was the announcement of Pivotal Container Services, which has an obvious acronym of PKS. It also included a discussion between the CEO of Dell Technologies and Pat Gelsinger, CEO of VMware. VMware was owned by EMC for several years and I didn't see any positioning by EMC to give themselves an edge with VMware. My personal opinion is that Dell Technologies isn't playing it as straight as EMC did. Time will tell. 

Here's the Day 2 keynote.

Now that's a lot of keynote watching so let me offer you an alternative to watching the keynotes. John Troyer, who was a key part (if not the key part) of VMware's community building, hosted a chat with several of us talking about what we heard and saw at VMworld. Part of the discussion included the keynotes and is a good high-level summary of them.  

What's in the booth?

I did a live video with one of my go-to guys on the 3PAR team, Phill Gilbert.  Phill had been drawing pictures on the white board he had in the 3PAR demo and he had one looking at the all-flash options for memory and flash - I thought it was interesting and despite the fact that I feel slightly threatened by Phill's artistic capabilities with my ChalkTalks, we did this video that you can find on Periscope. 

I was able to capture a few of our booth sessions though not nearly as many as I wanted to. These are shorter than a full one hour session - between 10 and 20 minutes so check them out. 

First is the HPE Converged Architecture 700 with Nimble. 

The next booth session looks at the integration between Veeam and HPE Storage. This was led by Federico Venier who is in HPE Technical Marketing and doing a lot of work with Veeam and HPE. I met Federico a few years ago and we spend a day together in Milan where he gave me a deep dive look at our Veeam integration. 

I also got some time with Rick Vanover from Veeam Software - I had attended VeeamOn and was invited to their executive briefing at VMworld that gave a few updates. Rick was gracious enough to spend some time with me to record a podcast where I got the details on the key features coming in Veeam v10 and I learned a new word, "preponed". 

Check out my podcast with Rick (or right click to save it)!

The last booth session I have is really good - this is with Pete Flecha from VMware. Pete is a Senior Technical Marketing Architect and his session was about VMware vVols.  

I also have an audio podcast of our vVols session from VMworld that was lead by my fellow vExpert Eric Siebert. This is an MP3 file that you can either click on and listen to now or download for later.

Listen to the podcast now (or right click to save it)!

To subscribe to the podcast, open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture. If you don't use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com and it has just been added to Google Play Music as well  

More videos to check out

theCube was at VMworld - and there are a few videos I want to call out:  

A personal conversation with the CEO 

Calvin and Pat VMworld 2017_Fotor.jpgI was walking through the VM Village and noticed that CEO Pat Gelsinger was speaking on theCube. I hung around a bit waiting for Pat to wrap up because I wanted to say something to him (and get a "selfie"). I was able to talk to Pat for a couple of minutes. I talked to Pat about his openness to talk about his faith. If you know me, you know I don't hide my Christian-faith and neither does Pat and I wanted to thank him for the stand he has taken.  

I think I'm going to leave it there - over 10 hours of videos and podcasts for you to check out but I think a good look at VMworld. 

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more