Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeeamON Trip Report

HPEStorageGuy

I spent last week at VeeamON in New Orleans and In this post I'll give you a summary of what I saw, heard, and even tasted.  

HPE and Nimble Storage, Together

3PAR and Nimble Storage.pngThis was the first event that HPE and Nimble Storage were together. I'll have more to say in the coming weeks about the combined portfolio but I think it's a best in class flash storage family. And  I finally got to meet the Nimble Storage team face-to-face, at least the team that was at VeeamON. That has me even more exicted. Seeing a 3PAR all-flash sitting next to Nimble Storage was pretty cool!

Lisolette and Me

Lisolette Foverskov is one of the VMUG leaders in Denmark. A couple of years ago she invited to to speak at the Copenhagen VMUG. She is a Veeam Vanguard and when we learned we'd both be attending VeeamON, she asked me if I would do a video interview with her. I said I'd do two! This video was a summary of our news that focused on HPE and Nimble solutions for Veeam. This was kind of funny because toward the end of the video, Ratmir Timashev, former CEO and founder of Veeam came into the hallway where we were doing our video.  You'll have to watch the video to see what happened. 

Listen to What the Man Says

Bill Philbin is of course the head of HPE Storage. He had a slot to speak during the last morning's keynote. I have a video of Bill's short 18 minute keynote. In the keynote Bill talked about how data protection has changed and some of the new tactics to protect application data. I've seen Bill speak several times - this was him at his best. 

Music of New Orleans

HPE and Nimble Storage sponsored one of the official event parties. It was at the Howlin' Wolf and the entertainment was a fantastic. The Soul Rebels are an 8 piece brass assemble. They're music was a combination of funk, soul, jazz, and more. And during their show, Patrick Osborne, Director of Product Management and Marketing went on stage to make it a 9 piece assemble.  This is a fun diversion so I'll include a link to my personal YouTube video of Patrick joining the Soul Rebels for "Pass the Pees".  

Veeam News

Veeam had a ton of news with a news release each day. Most interesting to me was Veeam Availability Suite v10.  Wow, hard to believe that they are now up to v10! My, how Veeam Software has grown. The big features in v10 are:

• Support for physical servers and NAS
  • New Veeam CDP - continuous data protection - that brings RPOs down to seconds
  • Native support for object based storage

Chris Mellor from the Reg has an article covering the news - check it out. 

Taste of New Orleans

beignets.jpgI had several people tell me that while in New Orleans I had to visit Cafe Du Monde for beignets and chicory coffee. Last fall I was at Downtown Disney in Southern California and my daughter wanted to have beignets. She loved them. They were good at Cafe Du Monde but I found myself shaking off the inch of powered sugar they had on top. I don't recommend bringing any home. I bought a dozen to bring home and in less than 24 hours, they weren't so good. 

What I enjoyed more was the oysters I had at the Creole House Restaurant & Oyster Bar.  The oysters on the half-shell and the chargrilled oysters (with garlic and parmesan) were fantastic. 

My first trip to New Orleans was too short and the event kept me busy but I was able to stop at the National World War II Museum before flying out on Friday. It was an emotional experience for me. I have posted my Dad's story a few times as a POW, captured in the Battle of Hurtgen Forest. The museum had a video that talked about Hurtgen Forest. With Memorial Day coming soon in the U.S., the timing of visiting the museum was ideal. 

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 34 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for over 25 years. I am a seven-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 9 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
See posts for dates
See posts for locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2018
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more