Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’ve Got Nothing to Hide with the HPE 3PAR Data Reduction Guarantee

StorageExpert

Introducing the first Data Reduction Guarantee with no hidden fine print. Look closely! You’ll find no hidden terms or conditions. 

HPE Data Reduction Guarantee_blog.jpgIt happens to all of us. You see advertising all the time for car leases at ridiculous low monthly payments. They entice you with the dream of driving a great new car for a very affordable monthly payment. Who wouldn't want to take advantage of this kind of deal?

The problem is you have to pay attention to the nearly impossible to read fine print. You need a magnifying glass to uncover all the various tricks car manufactures play to achieve that super low price. Probably the most common are ultra low-mileage leases where you have to pay overages for any excess miles.

Here at HPE we believe in full transparency. That’s why I’m excited to blog about a new Data Reduction Guarantee HPE is introducing for HPE 3PAR StoreServ flash storage. I believe it is the simplest and broadest data reduction guarantee in the industry with virtually no fine print. There is nothing to hide because our number one priority is to make sure you are happy with our Data Reduction technologies. 

This peace of mind enables you also to think broader than just the performance and cost of an individual storage array. Now you can focus on what we believe are the real critical factors in the next wave of flash adoption like running applications in the cloud on containers, simplifying operations across the data center, mitigating risks from edge to core to cloud and supporting hybrid IT transformation.

Public Service Announcement:  What should you watch out for with Data Reduction Guarantees?

Let’s put the magnifying glass on some of the most common fine print associated with today’s typical Data Reduction guarantee.  Think of this as my public service announcement.  Here’s my top 3 things to watch out for:

1. The “Kitchen Sink” – What technologies are behind a guaranteed ratio or claim?

For example, I believe the honest and fair way is to base any data reduction ratio on technologies that. . . wait for it. . . actually reduce the amount of data stored on flash storage. These are features like compression and deduplication.

Some storage vendors focus in on “bigger is always better” or maybe they have to compensate for lack of support for compression and/or deduplication (or maybe both) so they decide to throw everything but the kitchen sink into their data reduction ratio.

That may seem like the right thing to do, but I believe it is misleading to include technologies like thin provisioning and snapshots. These are great technologies (heck… 3PAR basically invented Thin Provisioning) but they are not considered data reduction technologies. 

For example, Thin Provisioning dynamically allocates and returns capacity on demand. It can deliver awesome efficiency (3PAR customers see an average of over 50% savings) but at the same time it is easy to inflate the savings associated with them.

Snapshots are another example where storage vendors can be a bit duplicitous.  For example, the amount of space “saved” through snapshots isn’t really saving space because you are not reducing data footprint. But if you want to use the snap you have to present it to a server. The instant you do that some storage vendors will count it as deduplication. Sneaky stuff!

2. The “Up to” – When is 10:1 not really 10:1?

The answer is when there is an “up to” in front of it. That’s because individual consumers will achieve varying results and the stated figure is a best-case scenario that not everyone, or even most, will obtain.

These type of guarantees often require a storage assessment. If they do, my advice is to make sure they are non-disruptive for your storage environment without any conditions or restrictions.

So the moral of the story is if it seems too good to be true (cough, cough, data reduction ratios as high as 933:1), then it probably is.

3. The “Bait & Switch” – Some vendors like to promote huge data reduction ratios of 5:1 or more, but will they actually guarantee that number?

Often times no. And if they do, any guarantee will surely be loaded with hidden caveats and qualifiers which limit the overall effectiveness. 

No (hidden) strings attached

I firmly believe 3PAR storage sets a new standard for total system efficiency that not only reduces the cost of flash but also extends flash media endurance, and offers the lowest TCO of any all-flash array.

We also believe in full transparency. That’s why the new Data Reduction Guarantee focuses on:

• Data reduction technologies (no snapshots or thin provisioning)
  • Real- world average savings per workload (not over inflated niche savings)

The average customer savings by application with 3PAR Adaptive Reduction technologies are:3PAR data reduction savings.jpg

HPE stands behind our data reduction technologies because if you’re not satisfied with HPE 3PAR Data Reduction, we’ll work to make you happy. For example, HPE will resolve issues and provide expertise related to data compaction or deliver additional storage if needed.

And the best part is there is virtually no fine print. There’s no hidden terms and conditions. It’s all publically available on HPE.com

Why are we so confident?

With any guarantee, it’s always the core attributes and features of 3PAR that enables us to offer them.  And what I Iove about 3PAR flash storage is that it doesn’t force you into any tradeoffs between performance, cost, scalability, data services or basic resilience.

For example, with Adaptive Data Reduction, 3PAR customers have the ability to combine up to four different technologies, outlined below, to reduce the cost to store data. Like many 3PAR features, data reduction technologies leverage both hardware and software, offering performance, scalability and efficiency.HPE 3PAR Adaptive Data Reduction_diagram2.jpg

With our approach, we combine the 3PAR hardware ASIC and software running on CPUs to create something unique. In terms of Adaptive Data Reduction, for example, hardware acceleration through the 3PAR ASIC is key to delivering the performance, scalability and efficiency we gain while driving down the cost of power, cooling and footprint.

Welcome to the flash revolution

If you’re looking to join the flash storage revolution to handle any demand with the reliability and QoS needed to meet your mission-critical service levels—all by leveraging blazing-fast speed with industry-leading economics, I hope you will consider 3PAR. You can rest easy knowing that we stand behind our data reduction capabilities and our best equipped to handle the next wave of flash challenges—from predictive analytics to data protection to investment strategies. 

Matt Morrissey.jpgMeet Around the Storage Block blogger Matthew Morrissey, 3PAR Product Marketing Manager, HPE.

xxx

About the Author

StorageExpert

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more