Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Strategy?

HPEStorageGuy

It's been almost two months since Discover in London but there's a blogger session that I haven't shared on ATSB that I think is worth Earbuds audio wave 800x554.jpgATSB Podcast #242: What is HPE Cloud Volumessharing with you. Jason Newton is VIce President of Marketing Strategy. His was the first "coffee talk" we did with our bloggers at Discover. I thought having him talk to the bloggers first thing was important so we could set the context of HPE, our strategy, and what it means for customers. 

I've known Jason for a long time. We were both on a team back in the mid-2000s and it was clear to me then he was a rising star in our organization. He has an incredible ability to translate technology into a story that is easy for customers to understand. His job now at HPE is to take our corporate strategy and translate it into a customer story. 

Here's what he talked about:

• 00:00 - 0900  Where has HPE come since November 2015 (separation from HP Inc), what is the strategy?
  • 09:00 - 16:30 What does it mean for customers?
  • 16:30 - 18:00 Bringing the strategy to life at Discover
  • 18:00 - 53:00 Q&A with bloggers (asking questions about strategy, giving feedback, and lots more interesting discussion)

You can watch the session - video blogger Jeffrey Powers captured and posted it on his YouTube Channel. I also have a podcast version that you can download or listen to. Just click on the link to listen now or right-click and save the MP3 to download it.  

Download or Listen to the Blogger Q&A about HPE Strategy Podcast

During the session, Jason mentioned the Machine and I think it's worth pointing you to the blog post I have about it.  If you didn't see it, this post has the session we did at Discover with the bloggers and Hewlett Packard Labs talking about the Machine.  I also have a demo of X1 Photonics Module we had at Discover. If you didn't see the post "The Machine and an Update on Photonics", it's definitely worth looking at. 

My Two Cents

HPE has made a lot of moves since November 2015:

1. Separation from HP Inc finalized
  2. Announced "Spin/Merge" of HPE Enterprise Services and CSC. 
  3. Announced "Spin/Merge of non-core software in HPE Software with Micro Focus. 

When the spin/mergers are completed, HPE will be a very focused IT Infrastructure business. Things are changing as fast as I've ever seen in my 35-plus years in the technology business.  I think it is a good thing to be focused and be more nimble as a result. 

I also think (and I say this as an HPE employee who has zero knowledge about any future activities) that we'll see more moves by HPE to better position ourselves as the premier hybrid IT infrastructure and the intelligent edge (Internet of Things) vendor.  I have my personal "guesses" that I think will happen. I'll keep those guesses to myself for now. Maybe I should put them in a time capsule so I can pull them out in a year or two from now to see if I was right.

One move that HPE has already made is to announce our intent to acquire SimpliVity.  I'm really glad to see this move - and I'm happy for my friends in the tech community that I've met over the years who are now at SimpliVity (Brian, Matt, Hersey, Lauren, etc.).  Check out the blog post from Antonio Neri talking about the acquisition. Antonio is the executive vice president and general manager of the Enterprise Group at HPE. 

I know we'll have more to say about SimpliVity on ATSB but for now, here are a few things that I've seen others say:

I've said before that I think the days of storage-only vendors are numbered. NetApp still has no hyper-converged or any converged solution of its own. It will be interesting to see if they make any moves but I think they are still trying to recover from a long string of quarters where they had massive losses of market share in storage - so understandably their focus is getting their storage house in order.  

Cisco is the other. I expected they would have done something by now to be more of a real threat in storage. But to date, they've done nothing of any consequence. A friend at Cisco reached out to me about 2 years ago asking if I was interested in a storage job with them.  I asked then and ask now, "What storage?"

There's still lots of work to do at HPE (there always is). I was recounting history today when I had lunch with a former employee who left the company over 10 years ago. That was when Mark Hurd left HP and we were either number 5 or 6 in the external SAN market. Since then, we had passed EMC and NetApp as the leader in the mid-range SAN and went from number 10 in the all-flash market to (depending on what quarter you look at) to number 3 or 4.  In the most recent IDC Quarterly Tracker, we passed Pure Storage in the all-flash market. So there's lots of great things happening at HPE and with all of the moves we are making, the future promises to be no less interesting!

About the Author

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I am a six-time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 8 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Events
Read for dates
HPE Webinars - 2019
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more