Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Tape as NAS or tNAS

HPEStorageGuy

I attended the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) a couple of weeks ago. We had several blog posts about the event leading up to and and now that I'm back, I have a few videos that I'll be sharing. Today I have a video of a discussion I had with long time tape storage expert Mark Fleischhauer around Tape as NAS (tNAS).

In the video, Mark defines tNAS, discusses how it can fit into an existing workflow, and talks about a customer using it today. This post will be short because the video does all the talking.  So here it is. EDITOR'S NOTE: This is a old video but does a very good job explaining Tape as NAS and LTFS. 

Mark has written three blog posts about tNAS where you can dig deeper and learn more. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments. And if you want to learn more, visit www.hpe.com/storage/ltfs.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Comments
nate

I expect to deploy tape as NAS later this year. I plan to use most of the same scripts I use to write to StoreOnce as NAS to tape too. Though am not sure on how solid the 3rd party HP partners with for the NAS gateway is. Quantum has a more integrated solution(appliance based, in theory easier to setup and maintain), though I prefer to stick to HP when I can(currently just servers+storage). My objective is to continue to not have to deal with "backup software". I'm sure I'll learn more at Discover.

Great stuff!  I recently designed an active tape archive for a well known M&E player in LA.  With the massive amounts of storage, the expense of disk, and the importance of that data, tape makes a ton of sence.  Hopefully soon we will see something from HP that will add tape to a given storage solution that will automate tiering down to LTFS targets seemlessly for the coldest data for file and object storage.  

Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more